STRADA BRAKE PADS-SHOES

The 3 1/2 forum
Exmoor beast

STRADA BRAKE PADS-SHOES

Post by Exmoor beast »

Hi Guys, I’ve got a standard 78 wire wheel GT/Strada ( chrome disc front, rear drum) and need to buy pads and shoes. Any recommendations , I’m not a hard braker/ racer so perhaps a softer compound . What are you lot using these days? Many thanks, any advice much appreciated, Jason.
3potjohn

Re: STRADA BRAKE PADS-SHOES

Post by 3potjohn »

This prompted me to actually check the pads on my twin disc sport. The front are Ferodo and if I can read the back say FDB696. All I know is they work really well, with no damage or picking up of the chrome on the discs.That said I thought its high time I got some new ones on the shelf at least, but failed to bring up that number so far from a sales point of view.
I did have an issue with the rear disc pads once, fitted some new ones about 10 years ago and they started picking up the chrome, cannot remember what type, I thought I still had some in my old spares box but not so after some uncharacteristic tidying.( just checked my post from 2011 in this case it was the Ferodo rear pads which caused trouble so went back to Newfren. I realise you have a rear drum.)
So not much help.Mdina Italia seem to list soft EBC. They appear to have a different backing plate profile. Mine have a tang to retain springs, so the plot thickens.
A good test would be Countisbury hill or the P one nearer you I guess.
John
Last edited by 3potjohn on 25 May 2020 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Exmoor beast

Post by Exmoor beast »

Thanks very much John, proper reply! I’ve just got back from riding down from Dunkery beacon, the fronts are ok at the moment but the rear shoes are a bit vague to say the least. The chrome on my front disc is really good and the last thing I want to do is wreck it with the wrong pads. I saw the EBC listing on the Madinaitaly site but I’ve never been impressed with EBC . I’ve done the usual searches and have found pads that wreck the chrome or too soft that pick up debris the score the disc! I’m quite happy with Ferodo, so I might give those a go, many thanks for getting back , do appreciate you having a look for me, cheers.
norbert

Post by norbert »

A Strada from 78 should habe grey cast wheels, so probably it was registered first time in 78 but build before.

On my doble disc brake right now I´ve some Brembo pads (new old stock), but my discs do not have any chrome left and that´s ok for me. They work fine (using a 13mm pump it´s a 2finger break).
If your rear wire wheel is an original Strada one it has a 160mm drum! The Sport wire wheels and all the cast wheels for all 350 have a 180mm drum.
Exmoor beast

Post by Exmoor beast »

Norbert you are absolutely right, they did come with cast wheels, previous owner fitted wires to mine . Your second point about the smaller drum - I’ll have to go and check before I order the wrong ones! Many thanks, Jason
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

3PJ's calipers on the K1 are different to the earlier Grimeca you have. I bought a pair of pads from Mdina and work fine on my grey wheeled 80 Sport.

You may wish to check out Bendix pads.

John, I reused the very old unworn rear pads in the K1 as the new ones I bought didn't have the anti rattle spring tangs. I have been informed it does not matter but not willing to test the theory just yet!
Exmoor beast

Post by Exmoor beast »

Thanks for that, that should be front sorted, rear is coming out this afternoon to see what’s goin* on!
Al B

Post by Al B »

I got some Bendix pads from NLM and they squealed horribly no matter how firm or gentle the brake application. I swapped some of the organic EBC ones in an they seem fine (and quiet)
Exmoor beast

Post by Exmoor beast »

Another nod for EBC, it’s nice to hear some real world feedback.
Cheers for that, Jason
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Just an update to say I have heard “nowt” from Ferodo ( ?open) and cannot find a retailer on the internet ( in UK). My pads look about 4/5mm at the moment so some time yet before I need to do anything.
John
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

M and P Direct in Swansea are trading and also list Morini brake pads, shoes etc on ebay.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I can report that M and P indeed stock the FDB 696 pads with the correct backing plate design. They are of the “Argento” variety i.e. FDB696AG for £24.67 for 2 sets delivered. By the look of the packs they have been festering away in Sunny Wales but the pads are fine. No idea what to expect from Argento. Silver swarf perhaps? Probably the last Morini pads I will ever buy!
I will not be fitting them yet awhile so don’t expect any feedback this year.
John
Exmoor beast

Post by Exmoor beast »

Hope your Ferodos are a success - and cheers for all the input, greatly appreciated.
As a side note I am getting the rear shoes relined and arced, will post later on how it turns out, cheers Jason