What have I lost?

The 3 1/2 forum
BumbleBee

Re: What have I lost?

Post by BumbleBee »

The exhaust threads are not meant to seal, that's the exhaust gasket's job. Hope we're all agreeing there? Just saying :-)

Gary
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Gary- agreed.

Nick- picking up on your previous post- yes the innotec is as I say more like a very high spec copper grease than a sealant- as applied it has pretty good lubricating properties which allows you to get the nut done up sufficiently tight, but I think where it wins out is that it still performs well after several heat cycles so you can go for a good blat and then retighten the exhaust nuts when hot. After that you probably won’t need to touch them again until you want to undo, at which point the innotec is still sufficiently functional to allow you to undo the nut without mashing the castellations and not be fighting dryness or corrosion.

As Gary says, you want the gasket to do the sealing not the threads.

I think the problem with using exhaust paste is it’s already started to harden during your first ride which means you never get to do that hot retighten.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I think the problem with using exhaust paste is it’s already started to harden during your first ride which means you never get to do that hot retighten.
I agree and it takes ages to pick the wretched stuff out of the threads. As gary says Its just not needed!

The check and re-tighten procedure of the exhaust nuts is in the user manual @500km and @2000Km, during running in,
but the wise would take that to mean also on exhaust removal or replacement.

We have improved that a little to say tighten when hot.

Hardening paste as Tom says has already gone hard after the first ride i.e before 500km.

Mark