Piston circlip advice please

The 3 1/2 forum
julianharty

Piston circlip advice please

Post by julianharty »

Despite the risk of being savaged for this question as something I should *know* here goes... (and I did search the forum but only found 3 matches for piston circlip, none on this topic).

What do you recommend in terms of piston circlips for 350 engines with nikasil (gilardoni) barrels and pistons please? and if what's ideal from your perspective isn't practical, what would you suggest would be practical and viable?

The bike came with circlips about 1.5mm thickness with a single 'ear' on them. I bought some new replacements from mdina, described as "circlip 350 morini" however these do not have any ears on them. Of course I can fit these and they should hold the gudgeon pin in OK. However they look like they'd then be awkward to remove as they don't have the ears and the pistons don't have any slots to enable me to get behind the circlips to remove them easily.

The other option is to risk fate and refit the circlips I removed - I'd prefer not to do this though.

Thank you

Julian
George 350

Re: Piston circlip advice please

Post by George 350 »

Hi Julian,
My old racing Honda used these. The 'earless' circlips come out quite easily in practice. With a small screwdriver, lift and push one end inwards towards the gudgeon pin and it will usually stay there. If it doesn't,
it is easy to 'ping' the clip out with another while holding the end in.
Arguably they are the most reliable circlips as there aren't any stress raisers on them.
PS: Don't forget to stuff the crankcase mouth with rag first!
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
julianharty

Re: Piston circlip advice please

Post by julianharty »

Thank you George,
Based on your experiences I'll use them.

Thank you again for your help last week too.

Julian