tank hook

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

tank hook

Post by dunk 1 »

I need to get my tank sorted - there is some welding to do and the sealant -POR is going to need to be stripped out - apart from this the tank is sound!. I have been looking for a replacement to save effort/cost (stupidly missed out one as not sure whether it would have been able to get to me at the start of lockdown) but as I have been looking at lots of pictures of tanks I have become aware that my tank (79 - angular sides straight though holes on the front) is missing something - the hook at the back where it is rubber banded to the frame. It never seems to have been an issue in the 12 years I have been riding round with it fastened securely at the front and held against the seat at the back but wondered what others think - am I missing something important and would it be better to wait and spend my money on one with one rather than spending it on something that isn't safe.
thanks Duncan
dunk
P.I. Staker

Re: tank hook

Post by P.I. Staker »

I have a tank that resembles a colander, but the band retainer is ok. You are welcome to it for free. Trouble is I am down in Devon. I normally come up to Kirby Stephen quite a lot, but for obvious reasons, that isn't happening at the moment. If you can hang on for a bit, I should be able to get it up that way.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Thank you for your offer - to be honest I was hoping for someone to say it is or it isn't an issue so I could make a decision and get on with it as it is the one thing keeping me from getting back on the road. Let me know when you are next up and if I haven't resolved it we can meet.
I am near Barrow but often get up toward Kirkby Stephen for a walk or on the way to my mums house.
Duncan
dunk
P.I. Staker

Post by P.I. Staker »

I would have thought that providing there is no contact between the frame and tank it would probably be held in place by the seat. You may find in use that where the seat rubs against the back of the tank, the paint may wear off a little quicker. I would also make sure that whatever you use as a pad instead of the foam/blue tack crap ( if it is still on there ) is a good fit around the frame rails and underside of the tank. Sorry if that is a bit vague, someone may disagree with what I have said.
Will let you know if I am up that way.
Paul.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

yes - I always assumed that the seat held it (can see the marks made by the seat) just wanted reassurance before I spent good money and then find someone would tell me it was unsafe -and I have recently bought some nice tank rubbers that go round the frame rather than the thin pads - thanks - Duncan
dunk
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

If you're going to do work on the tank anyway why not add the hook plate and make sure it's secure? It could be a simple affair with a couple of spot weld to secure it. MoT testers aren't allowed to remove seats and panels to examine bikes but if they knew there was a fixing missing they would start to get a wobble on. The seat will hold it a bit but if you yanked it hard enough the petrol pipes would let go and the tank would pivot forwards on the bolts. All very hypothetical in the extreme but enough for a worrier to lose sleep over so I'd fix it! :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.