REAR SHOCKS

The 3 1/2 forum
vincent3664

REAR SHOCKS

Post by vincent3664 »

Anyone able to recommend where I can get some decent new rear shocks for a reasonable price ,Im thinking of getting some Hagons at the moment any other suggestions?
George 350

Re: REAR SHOCKS

Post by George 350 »

Hi, and welcome back.
Shocks: Hagons are good, NJB also. Ikon if you have deep pockets.
Re: your other post on brakes. If you still have the standard set up, the best thing you can do for low cost is to fit a smaller master cylinder. (12mm I believe is the one, from a Morini 250, or a cloned Honda one if you arent pushed on originality. )
There is a recent thread on here about pads - worth a search.
After this, there is a chap who has made some very nice floating discs (selling via Ebay),
Next it is Sport forks and twin disc.

Me? Before I retired I used to have access to a high quality and cheap engineering shop and my bike has a 320mm Kawasaki disc and tandem piston caliper on it. As a result, it stops like a modern bike.
They can be made to brake well, honest!
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
vincent3664

Post by vincent3664 »

Thanks for the info George, I had noticed the discs a guy is making and selling on ebay as well......has anyone tried them?
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Yes I have bought a pair, yet to be fitted. Made by Ducati TT2 guru Roy Thersby I think. Lovely things, look like Brembo quality.
I bought a pair of Menani floating discs from Italy, which needed the speedo-drive grinding for clearance which, looking at them, Im sure Roy's wouldnt, as the 'shoulder' of his is curved like the original, whereas the Menani ones have a 90 degree shoulder and that sharp edge was fouling the speedo drive on the inside.
vincent3664

Post by vincent3664 »

Thanks Simon,the disc info was really helpful
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Furthermore I REALLY recommend shockfactory.co.uk shocks. Beautifully made, lightweight alloy, handbuilt to your specs, rebuildable, preload and damping adjustable, really helpful English owner who doesn't advertise. More expensive than basic Hagons but cheaper than Ikons. Made in France by a Brit but postage is inexpensive
vincent3664

Post by vincent3664 »

I ended up buying a pair of Hagon shocks direct from ALF Hagon which worked out at £146 and were fitted with springs rated for my weight and delivered in 3 days .I am really pleased with the handling now. Please note that Hagons website is not working so phone them direct on 02085026222 if you want to buy a pair .
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

I just got a set of Hagon’s for my 84 K2 sprung for my weight with and a tad (10mm for 310mm overall) for a little more ground clearance and they arrived 4 days after paying to the US from the U.K. during Covid! Great service and they are very responsive to emails.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Look out for your springs rubbing on the shock bodies. After a month's use, mine started to look dreadful so I complained. Hagon sent me some 'special tubes' FoC that mitigate this happening. I was glad to return to my Marzocchis once they were rebuilt and sell the Hagons.
DD
MRC 3082½
norbert

Post by norbert »

In former times I used to have Konis. After returning to motocycles/Morinis in 2000 I changed the leaking Marzochhis Strada for IKONs a few years later. An they are still working perfectly. IKONs are Konis made in Australia as far as I know. About 2003 I´ve paid 250€ for them, right know you can find them for more or less 350€.
So if you spend 350€ and the shocks work fine for 20 years, 17,50€ a year for an excelent and reliable rear to me is not that expensive. How much is a pizza and a pint in GB?

norbert
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

And for €350 or less Shock Factory will custom-make you beautiful, rebuildable lightweight alloy preload/damping adjustable shocks, to suit your weight. They are a work of art. I've no connection to the company!
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Give me a solid rear end, complete with Webb girder forks any day. "Whay was goodenough for my Dad, is goodenough for me"
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hmmm what was good enough for my Dad was whispering when the Zeppelins came over in case they heard you and getting your tonsils removed with a snare with no pain relief. Do not even mention teeth which involved a fierce dog at your heels and a couple of slaps to get you prepped.Still there wasn’t any plastic about.Just soot.
For the first time in my life I have a bike with really good rear suspension. I cannot afford to improve my other 2 bikes suspension so will have to watch the road surfaces as I am used to doing and bracing myself.
Still it makes life interesting.....
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. I yearn for the days of TB, rickets, whooping cough, measles...

For rear suspension try TEC. The springs are hard as for heavier bikes but they do a softer spring if you ask. Allegedly rebuildable, too.
themoudie

Post by themoudie »

Try these suppliers for front and rear suspension. They supplied new shocks for my 1974 Ducati 450 MKIII and a monoshock for a 1988 Honda Bros 400, the latter being a Hagon unit at less than Hagon themselves charged and inclusive of P&P and VAT. I am a happy customer.

Link: 'Bike_Revival'_rear_shocks_suppliers

My regards, Bill