Borrani Rim numbers

The 3 1/2 forum
hendre

Borrani Rim numbers

Post by hendre »

does anybody know the original Borrani rim numbers for the sport drum brake model? Rim numbers for strada models (allthough never supplied from the factory) may also be of use to find a fitting rim. :wink:
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I not found anyone who knows what the numbers mean.

Are they a date code, batch code?

If they describe the piercing angles, then it's of some importance, or at least it should be. I've seen several wheels with curved spokes because they're laced to the wrong hubs.

If you just want the right style of flanged rim, then Morad are just fine and can be pierced correctly for any hub. Of you want to go upmarket slightly then Takagaso Excels are the answer. In mainland Europe you might be able to find Rexfelgens.

If you're doing a concourse job, then nothing but Borrani rims with the right numbers might satisfy you.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
hendre

Post by hendre »

they indeed describe the piercing angles, pretty important for a good lacing job....
stuart

Borrani rims

Post by stuart »

Well... whilst you chaps are discussing a subject close to my heart.... any ideas on where I may source hubs for a disc-braked sport so I can get some nice looking wheels built up (I'd love Borrani, but Akront / Morad etc would be OK!!). I have NEVER seen these for sale on ebay (and I check ebay uk, DE, .COM and .IT!)

I'm happy to buy bits and pieces over time / from multiple sources if you have any ideas (I've even thought of buying a complete bike then changing the wheels for cast wheels and selling it on) :D

Thanks, Stuart
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

(I've even thought of buying a complete bike then changing the wheels for cast wheels and selling it on)
That may well be the easiest, quickest and cheapest option.

I had a chat with Stuart at NLM once about the same topic, his advice was to buy a complete donor bike as individual components would work out hideously expensive.
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

I bought a disc braked Kanguro front wheel with a view to using the hub and putting an 18" rim on it.

I was also going to use the Kanguro back wheel.

This was for a 350 that I used to race so originality didn't matter. I may still get round to it one day.

H.
stuart

Borrani rim numbers

Post by stuart »

Well., its been a while since this topic was posted (with no actual reply to the question) so I've evetually traced and had built some Borrani rim wheels. The first challenge is finding them! I found a complete (disc braked) front wheel on ebay.it for 140 euros (which was a real gem of a find) though it had a slight bend on the lip of the rim.

I then advertised on the Moto Morine clubs in both Nederlands and Italy and I received a reply for the rear hub (also received a reply from someone with a pair of wheels in tatty condition which they wanted 900 euros for! They are claimed to make a bike 1000 euros more valuable?!) and I puchased the rear hub for 200 euros. So, I just had to find a rim!

Well, this proved quite challenging! There are loads of Borrani rims on ebay, however you need to get the correct diameter, width, number of spoke holes, but MOST importantly the correct angle of drillig for the hub - can you imagine how difficult this is given that every manufacturer has different diameter and width hubs! Eventually I found one from a Suzuki T500 on ebay UK.

I took both the wheels to a local wheelbuilder who told me the front rim was damaged beyond repair and I'd have to buy a Morad rim. I took back the complete front wheel and sent it to Hagon. The local wheelbuilder said it would take 4 weeks. Hagon said the rim would repair easily and they would take 4 weeks. Well, Hagon did a brilliant job (in 5 weeks) and the local wheelbuilder still has the back wheel 8 weeks later!

Here are the pictures of the front wheel, complete with numbers as previously requested. I'll post the back wheel when it comes back!

Ahhh! Can someone tell me how to post a picture here?
stuart

Borrani Rim Numbers

Post by stuart »

Oh well, until I can load a picture...

Front rim has written on it 'Borrani WM-2 / 1.85 -18 / 36 Record/11 RM-01-4792 Made in Italy'

Which means... WM2 means it's 1.85 inches wide (internal measurement between flanges) 18 inch diameter, 36 spoke. The RM -01 - 4792 dictates (I beleive) the angle of drilling for the spokes. Bear in mind that a drum braked front rim would have different spoke :D angles.

I'll post the rear details when it returns.
ringer

Post by ringer »

This taken from another forum may be of interest to someone here:
Anyone got a use for an 18 inch non-valanced Akront alloy rim (Morini rear)?
http://www.motorcyclekb.com/Uwe/Forum.a ... at-a-waste
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
stuart

Re: Borrani Rim Numbers

Post by stuart »

[quote="stuart"]Oh well, until I can load a picture...

Front rim has written on it 'Borrani WM-2 / 1.85 -18 / 36 Record/11 RM-01-4792 Made in Italy'

Which means... WM2 means it's 1.85 inches wide (internal measurement between flanges) 18 inch diameter, 36 spoke. The RM -01 - 4792 dictates (I beleive) the angle of drilling for the spokes. Bear in mind that a drum braked front rim would have different spoke :D angles.

Posted are weblinks to picures of the rim, and the bike they'll be fitted onto soon!

I'll post the rear details when it returns.
[Webmaestro: I tweaked the code so that the images will display below :wink: ]

n500

Post by n500 »

hi

I have a complete Sport drum braked front wheel in the attic (as you do....). I will look it out over the weekend and see what the numbers are. I have a rear one as well. they were taken off a (sport) bike years ago - may even have the original tyres on them!

I will post any numbers etc I can find.

Neil
n500

Re: Borrani Rim numbers

Post by n500 »

Hello
Finally got around to this - was it really a year ago?
Numbers on mine are as follows:
Front WM-2/185-18/36 RECORD 11
rear WM-3.215-18/36 RECORd/11 RM-01-4263/1
Front tyre is Pirelli Gordon 3.60H18, rear is same but 100/90 - H18.

Both have been in storage for years - about time i had a clearout - anyone any idea what they are worth?

Neil
huub

Post by huub »

a lot , last time i saw a pair change owner they fetched 1000 euro...
hombre

Post by hombre »

I don't think they're worth much, I'll take them for postage, ok? ;-)
mgill

Post by mgill »

Odd, the rear on mine is Wm 3 -18 36 RM-01 4530
Had it relaced last year and the spoke angles are correct.

Mathew
MRC #2795