Remember to check your nuts and bolts!

The 3 1/2 forum
George 350

Remember to check your nuts and bolts!

Post by George 350 »

Hi All,
Went for a thrash, sorry ride, today and as I was nearing home felt the gear selection was sloppy, and neutral was elusive.
Just 1/4 mile from home, in 5th gear, went to change down but there wasn't a gear lever under my foot! The nyloc nut had disappeared from the bolt through the linkage rose joint...Thank goodness it is a tractable engine with a forgiving clutch!
P1130652R.jpg
P1130652R.jpg (355.53 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Lesson learned: It's not just my Norton that shakes things loose such that you do a walk around after each ride to check it is ok. Remember to tighten your nuts regularly!
Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Ming

Re: Remember to check your nuts and bolts!

Post by Ming »

That happened to me last year, fortunately I was approaching a roundabout and I felt it fall off as I changed down. I was able to pull in and retrieve it (still intact!) and ride home with my toe against it.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Went out on mine yesterday to a local classic bike meet. Left it in gear on the sidestand then when I returned I could not get it to select neutral.

I'm sure that one day I will get used to the right hand gear shift!!!

Incidentally, having not ridden a Morini before mine, is some vibration usual? It buzzes a bit more than my Guzzi at around 3 - 5,000 rpm but with nothing to compare to it's hard to know what is normal. As I'm running it in I am not expecting silky smooth but I'm just interested.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote:Went out on mine yesterday to a local classic bike meet. Left it in gear on the sidestand then when I returned I could not get it to select neutral.

I'm sure that one day I will get used to the right hand gear shift!!!

Incidentally, having not ridden a Morini before mine, is some vibration usual? It buzzes a bit more than my Guzzi at around 3 - 5,000 rpm but with nothing to compare to it's hard to know what is normal. As I'm running it in I am not expecting silky smooth but I'm just interested.
When mine was new I never was aware of any vibration but I had moved on from old British bikes so a Morini seemed like a turbine. Nowadays I do notice some minor vibes but if they are anything more it is usually down to something either being loose (engine mountings are a regular one) or a bearing or somesuch on its way out.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.