Dellorto floats

The 3 1/2 forum
Silverspur

Dellorto floats

Post by Silverspur »

I appreciate this is a touch esoteric but it might help someone in need a replacement for a punctured float, as I did recently.

The float part number on our VHB 25BS floats is 7450.2, the floats are black, and adjustable for fuel level. An alternative white version is available but are unadjustable for fuel level. There are three variants of the black floats 4570.1, 4570.2 and 4570.3, differentiated by weight. The 7450.2 is 14 grams.

Eurocarb's website show that 4570.2 black is now unavailable but the white ones are, with the same three part numbers. Trouble is - and what worried me - is that the white 4570.2 is only 12.5 grams, so - I thought - would reduce the fuel level resulting in a weaker mixture. Knowing how important float height is the these carbs, I contacted Eurocarbs who assured me that, although the white ones were lighter they have the same buoyancy, so there should be no effect on float level. Well, that's all tright, then.

Not many people know that.
AntietamClassicCycle

Re: Dellorto floats

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

In my experience, the white ones are rubbish - leak and fill with fuel shortly after installation.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

In my experience, the white ones are rubbish - leak and fill with fuel shortly after installation.
or are badly made or swell up and bind in the float bowl leading to fuel flooding the engine.
Make sure to remove all extraneous flashing and check carefully.
Mark
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

FYI I've also had one of the new white plastic floats split and fill with fuel.

Sadly I don't have a good supply of new floats currently, I have ended up buying far too many old carbs which will tide me over for a few years. At some point I'm personally keen to try a newer design of carbs e.g. similar to the ones used on http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... 73&p=32708 or the round bodied slide Dellortos.
Silverspur

Post by Silverspur »

AntietamClassicCycle wrote:In my experience, the white ones are rubbish - leak and fill with fuel shortly after installation.

But they are the only ones available, as far as I know.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

Unfortunately, yes they are. But, I buy NOS and good, used, older types whenever I get the chance.