Timing side crankshaft oil seal

The 3 1/2 forum
Glennh

Timing side crankshaft oil seal

Post by Glennh »

I need to replace the timing side crankshaft oil seal with the engine in-situ. Dis-assembly no problem.
Any ideas on how to re-install the timing belt pinion. It’s a tight fit on the crankshaft and it’s not good practice to drift it on as this would apply unacceptable forces on the bearings. Anyone out there with a solution other than making up a special press tool?
MickeyMoto

Re: Timing side crankshaft oil seal

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tried heating it?
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Not yet attempted re-fitting. I will heat the pinion as a matter of course but not sure that will be sufficient to get it back in place without force.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Make sure everything is clean. Mine pushed on OK. No need to strike it. Not sure if a little light lubrication would help or hinder future removal, as it is in the elements in the position it is in.
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Thank you for that piece of info. I Removed/re-fitted the pinion some years ago but cannot recall how difficult it was to re-fit.
I do not believe there is a special tool for pressing the pinion into place that utilises the threaded end of the crank as a stop against which pressure can be applied. Pressing the pinion into place while applying pressure to the other end of the crank would relieve forces on the bearings but not a viable option with the engine assembled. Perhaps I’m overthinking the problem and should just knock it on if it’s tight but I can’t say I like that idea.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I hVe done this twice in 13 years but do not recall any difficulty refitting it. Getting it off on the other hand was more of a battle but the motor was out though. I may be facing a similar oil seal issue shortly.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

To remove, fit a large washer at the front of the pinion, refit the circlip and use a puller on the washer. Replace the circlip on refitting...
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

It is meant to be a tight fit , I drifted it on with a piece of metal tube if it's loose it will ware the woodroof key as this only locates the pinion if it's loose put some loctite on the shaft it came off so it should go back on with a couple of taps .
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Make sure it's all clean. It's supposed to be a close fit as others have said. Don't stress too much about the crank bearing (obviously show a little respect) but also it's a big bearing and is sized to take regular explosions from above and at the same time the whacks of axial load from the primary drive gear :-)

Gary
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Thanks for the guidance on refitting the pinion. When I come to put it on I will give it a “sensitive” bash.