Rear Shock Dimensions

The 3 1/2 forum
bizzywizzy

Rear Shock Dimensions

Post by bizzywizzy »

I am in the process of replacing my marzocchi strada rear shocks on my 350 sport.

The shock factory are building a set for me and have asked for a couple of dimensions that I'm not sure about.

Thought I would ask here before starting to dissasmemble and measure!

So can anyone enlighten me on,

Stroke (including bumpstop)?

Fixings (bolt size and width)?

Thanks,

Mike
Steve Brown

Re: Rear Shock Dimensions

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Mike, if you have the original shocks still, it may be best to take the measurements from yours as most other bikes will have had replacements by now. (My Sport has a pair of Konis that I'm happy with but I think they are 500 spec). Once you have those figures it's easy to work out if you want them altered in any way. e.g. I prefer to add 10 or 20mm to the overall length to raise the rear ride height a little. That's a purely personal thing and won't suit everyone of course. I do know the bolts are 10mm dia and am fairly sure the eyes are 25mm wide-but check yours!
I have a pair of shocks from the Shock Factory on my Camel and they are top notch things too! You won't be disappointed. The worst thing is they might make your front forks seem rubbish!
Oh yes, you won't need to disassemble things to measure the stroke-just hold a ruler against them and measure from the top of the damper body to the metal bit where the rubber bump stop stops.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

My original Sport shocks are in the throes of getting rebuilt, when I can afford to order the kit, see other thread below.Not massive bucks but you know how it is.
The eyes are 25mm with a 10mm bolt hole through the bushes. The damper rod is 9mm in diameter and I make the total exposed length from the top of the rod to the oil seal cap to be 80mm.My bumpstops are old but the best one is 22mm in height.With no spring therefore the rod can move 58mm. I do not know if it can move this distance with the spring on ,I assume much less. I think they are 300mm shocks.Bike still handles better than the “rubber cow” and the brakes are much better.
Why not have a go at a rebuild? You can spend nearly ten times as much on new ones but will the result be ten times better for road use.
John
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

Thanks Steve and John.

Your replies are really helpful. I can now provide everything Mike at Shock Factiory needs.

I will keep the Marzocchis and rebuild them as a learning experince, however the red part of the strada shock looks wierd on my orange sport, and I love the look an operation of the shock factory replacements.

Thanks again,

Mike