Starter Motor Problem -

The 3 1/2 forum
stuartgurney

Starter Motor Problem -

Post by stuartgurney »

Surely not!

I expect there are hundreds of posts on tis foru m on this subject but ......

Just got a 350 Strada - wonderful after only a 10 minute ride. I am quite ill, and wanted to keep biking as long as I can. Member of the VMCC which is a great way of getting out, except in lockdown!

I bought a 500 which didn't have a starter and I spent a lot of money on a new ignition system. Kick starts really well, but with my issues it is still a problem for an old man!!

The 350 Strada starts on first push of the button, but when it is hot it wont start.

It cant be much of a problem, but before I start dismantling - any ideas?

Stuart
Steve Brown

Re: Starter Motor Problem -

Post by Steve Brown »

Is that as in-it won't turn the motor over when warm or the engine won't fire when warm? I had one starter where one of the bearings in the drive box moved a little and was binding the motor up. It could just need the motor and gearbox stripping and cleaning? EV Guru is a wizz at fixing these things. It might be worth looking for a starter for your 500 too?
Also as this is in the for sale section don't be surprised if it gets moved to the relevant bit of the forum! :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My K2 did that. Often failed to start on the button when hot, even though it always did when cold, and always started straight away with the kickstart whether hot or cold. Tried a new AGM battery in case it was not spinning the engine fast enough with the old battery, but that did not help much.
Saw references on this website to making the 3 'legs' in the starter motor heavier, and also that the laminated type of legs were heavier and would grip the flywheel better. I thought that I would try it even though it sounded to me as though the engine was being turned quite fast. However the new legs (Surflex) worked a treat, never failing to work whether hot or cold. I think that although all sounded well before, the friction pads on the legs were slipping on the flywheel and the engine was not turning fast enough. Surprised me that the kick starter must have been turning the engine faster.

Sorry, I realise that 'legs' is not a very good description of the parts, I mean the parts with the friction material on them.
Last edited by Richard on 07 Nov 2020 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I should also have said that the bike had been fully restored just before I bought it and the ' solid legs' looked brand new with excellent friction material on them. I did try roughing up the surface of the legs and of the flywheel drum, but to no avail. Did not like the dimpling idea for the flywheel.
stuartgurney

Post by stuartgurney »

Still got the problem -

checked the voltage drop on the battery when cold and then when hot - exaclty the same.

The motor spins fine whether hot and cold.

I can only guess that one electrical component is not working efficiently when hot?

Any ideas?

Stuart
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi Stuart, recently I have spent quite a lot of effort on getting the starter to work right on my 1979 350 Strada. It now works well, but rather than try to list what I have done it is probably easier to just have a chat on the phone to compare notes. I will send you a personal message with my number so you can give me a ring.

Regards,

David.