Elektronik Sachse Ignition group buy

The 3 1/2 forum
hendre

Re: Elektronik Sachse Ignition group buy

Post by hendre »

I think Anne already has solved the frying issue when connecting the battery not correctly.
besides: your regulator also doesn't like the swapped battery connection :mrgreen:
huub

Post by huub »

not sure if you should expect electronics to be able to survive connecting the battery wrong.
i can for a fact tell you the regulator and rev counter of a morini does not ( dont ask....)
i doubt the sachse unit will , the one on my guzzi died in normal use...
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Kamel wrote:
Incidentally I received my Sachse unit today, and it looks extremely well made I have to say.

Cheers,

Kamel.
Mine arrived today, it looks very good. And after reading the installation instructions, some new skills for me to learn too! Win/Win :D

Thanks for your work to arrange it all Kamel, much appreciated.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

AndyB57 wrote:
Kamel wrote:
Incidentally I received my Sachse unit today, and it looks extremely well made I have to say.

Cheers,

Kamel.
Mine arrived today, it looks very good. And after reading the installation instructions, some new skills for me to learn too! Win/Win :D

My pleasure Andy, it only took a couple of emails to arrange. I don't know why more owners clubs don't organize something similar to be honest.

Glad yours arrived ok. did you get charged any import duty or VAT ?

Cheers,

Kamel.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

hendre wrote:I think Anne already has solved the frying issue when connecting the battery not correctly.
besides: your regulator also doesn't like the swapped battery connection :mrgreen:
Agreed, and like I said I really wanted to try the SWF system, but didn't get very much feedback about them.

Now if Anne can make a unit that will drive stick coils I'd definitely be up for one. Imagine, you could probably fit that in 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Kamel.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

huub wrote:not sure if you should expect electronics to be able to survive connecting the battery wrong.
i can for a fact tell you the regulator and rev counter of a morini does not ( dont ask....)
i doubt the sachse unit will , the one on my guzzi died in normal use...
See accidents do happen. I was refitting one of the original indicators on my Camel while it was flashing and the chrome plating on the back of the reflector shorted the contacts and blew my brand new electronic flasher unit. :oops: I rubbed that area of plating off so it won't happen again.
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Kamel wrote:
AndyB57 wrote:
Kamel wrote:

Cheers,

Kamel.

My pleasure Andy, it only took a couple of emails to arrange. I don't know why more owners clubs don't organize something similar to be honest.

Glad yours arrived ok. did you get charged any import duty or VAT ?

Cheers,

Kamel.
I paid nothing more, which is good! DHL contacted me late last week to say they had the package, it turned up Monday.
lemans

Post by lemans »

Kamel wrote: Now if Anne can make a unit that will drive stick coils I'd definitely be up for one. Imagine, you could probably fit that in 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Kamel.
I've a set on my desk, for a couple of weeks now, just for fun to see what they are up to or how much abuse they will stand
not a solution for the MG's as it will widen the engine to much and they have coils already
hendre

Post by hendre »

Kamel wrote: Now if Anne can make a unit that will drive stick coils I'd definitely be up for one. Imagine, you could probably fit that in 10 minutes.
What is the electrical difference from stick coils to conventional coils?
lemans

Post by lemans »

hendre wrote:
What is the electrical difference from stick coils to conventional coils?
conventional coils have a primary resistance of 3~5 Ohm and a reasonable big iron core to store the necessary magnetic energy, and a lead to the plug

stick coils are mounted directly on top of the plug so there isn't room at all for an iron core, also the primary resistance is approx 0,5 Ohm. this resistance is not really a problem as the FET is in the stick but you've to reduce coil-on-time considerably. I'll see how they perform, how the work around the lack of iron core is.

a really low prim resistance isn't a problem as this BSA has a coil of 0,3 Ohm. just reducing the coil-on-time was all it took to get that one running
getting the ign correct showed the big-end failing, corrected since
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SVBcrp0x1g
buzby

Post by buzby »

My unit has arrived now. Thanks Kamel for arranging the group buy.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
robint

Post by robint »

Mine installed, first kick start and steady idle at 1400rpm and a steady tachometer needle which is a novelty (no it's not stuck!). Fair bit of electrics to make up as used new coils (the PVL ones do just fit under the tank) and a bracket needed for the control box - under the left hand cover, otherwise straightforward and easy to get static timing on both cylinders. Using setting 5 that it came with but so far weather not exactly encouraging a road test.......

Cheers cliff for the arranging!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

robint wrote:Mine installed, first kick start and steady idle at 1400rpm and a steady tachometer needle which is a novelty (no it's not stuck!). Fair bit of electrics to make up as used new coils (the PVL ones do just fit under the tank) and a bracket needed for the control box - under the left hand cover, otherwise straightforward and easy to get static timing on both cylinders. Using setting 5 that it came with but so far weather not exactly encouraging a road test.......

Result!

Did you follow the Sachse instructions to the letter? I've not started on mine yet but it'll be a step into a new area of bike electrics for me.......
robint

Post by robint »

Clearly failed in the man part as I followed instructions...... As I used the PVL coils that was probably the trickiest bit to make sure of clearance under the tank - both coils needed to face backwards. A few cables needed making up from the box to the coils, rev counter, fuse box and earth so a half decent crimping tool useful, along with wires of different colours. Joined the rev counter lead under the tank, the others were just run to the terminals instructed. As the coil for the front cylinder now faced backwards it needed a new HT lead to reach, fortunately had one in the cupboard/loft. Initial setting of static timing is easy enough, though with marks on one side of the bike and LED on the other need good access to both sides!

Been out for a run today in between the showers and no problems, pulling cleanly from tickover (still reliable at 14-1600rpm) to max revs and also pulling well in top gear from 70-85mph. Some tingly vibration at lower revs so may try the other curves - currently on 5 - but suspect that may be when the weather is more encouraging!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

robint wrote:Mine installed, first kick start and steady idle at 1400rpm and a steady tachometer needle which is a novelty (no it's not stuck!). Fair bit of electrics to make up as used new coils (the PVL ones do just fit under the tank) and a bracket needed for the control box - under the left hand cover, otherwise straightforward and easy to get static timing on both cylinders. Using setting 5 that it came with but so far weather not exactly encouraging a road test.......

That's great news robint !!

Glad to be of service.

I'm still trying to work out where to mount the coils. :roll: The black box I may just velcro to the bottom of the tank so its accessible. It should keep it nice and cool too.

Cheers,

Kamel.