Starter Motor Brushes

The 3 1/2 forum
Ian_C

Re: Starter Motor Brushes

Post by Ian_C »

Hi Bruce, you will find that motor brushes are easily sanded down on the side of a grinding wheel, they are pretty soft. Ian
1974 350 Strada
1975 350 Strada
1983 X1 Kanguro
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Thanks to Bruce for the helpful info, and Ian for the advice. Sounds like the winning combination is to buy the set sourced by Bruce, bring them down to the correct size and modify the electrical connections to fit. Result! HNY all.

David.
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi all, just a quick update... I ordered the brushes identified by Bruce on New Years Day. But the order has not yet arrived and no reply to my emails or telephone calls to AutoElectricalSpares. Looking deeper, Trust Pilot rates them as 2.3 out of 5, and 81% negative feedback... I know, I know, I should have looked earlier before parting with my money!!

Anyway I am glad my order wasn't expensive as it looks unlikely they will deliver the goods. An outfit to avoid I would say.

All best,

David.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

david3661 wrote:Hi all, just a quick update... I ordered the brushes identified by Bruce on New Years Day. But the order has not yet arrived and no reply to my emails or telephone calls to AutoElectricalSpares. Looking deeper, Trust Pilot rates them as 2.3 out of 5, and 81% negative feedback... I know, I know, I should have looked earlier before parting with my money!!

Anyway I am glad my order wasn't expensive as it looks unlikely they will deliver the goods. An outfit to avoid I would say.

All best,

David.
Thanks for the tipoff David, definitely to be avoided by the looks of it.

It looks as though these will do the job though (and the seller has lots of good feedback :) )..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-Brush ... Swz5peToj7

Hope that helps,

Kamel.
Bruce3500

Post by Bruce3500 »

Hi David,
Sorry to hear the bad news, didn't think to google the company. I am sure if they do not supply the goods and you have paid for them you can ask your bank for a charge back for your money i believe depending on how you paid. When buying on-line now i always use my credit card for a bit of insurance as i have had to get a refund via them in the past,
All the best,
Bruce
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi all, many thanks to Kamel for spotting another potential candidate to fit the Morini starter motor. I ordered a set from France last week and they arrived today - about £15 including p&p and no import duty! They will need a bit of tinkering to fit, but they should do the job without too much bother once brought down to size. Just for the record for anyone trying to source a set in future if the ebay listing is not still live, according to my calipers the new ones measure 14.3mm x 8mm x 22mm and were intended for a Hitachi starter S12-19C / S12-41A / S12-59 / S12-63 / S12-63A / S12-63B / S12-63C / S12-68 / S12-68B / S12-68D / S12-77A / S12-78 / S12-79 / S12-82. I think the Morini motor needs 7mm x 14mm x 20mm or so. Which means these should be fine when reduced down a bit. The electrical connections will also need a bit of modifying, but it doesn't look like this should be too much of a problem. So looks like we have got there in the end!

Thanks again for all the help - much appreciated.

David.