Starter Motor Brushes

The 3 1/2 forum
david3661

Starter Motor Brushes

Post by david3661 »

Hi all,

I have recently been re-commissioning my 1979 350 Strada which has been sat around for a few years. Firstly, as a newcomer, a massive thank you for all the club wisdom and in particular Paul C's most excellent you tube videos. So far I have used them to do the carb overhaul, cambelt change, get the carbs balanced, overhaul the starter etc. When I did the clean up of the starter I found that the brushes were not quite worn out, but will be getting there soon. I have searched the forum, but can't seem to find if anyone has managed to source any replacements which fit? Mdina don't have any left and I wondered if anybody had found an alternative part that does the job and could share the source and part number? As an aside, I now find that with the starter motor cleaned out and the starter clutch relined (I got mine done at a place in Bedfordshire called Auto & industrial Friction Services) it works pretty well. And the re-lining cost was not expensive compared to buying new.

All thoughts welcome - and stay safe in these strange times!

David.
harrymuffin

Re: Starter Motor Brushes

Post by harrymuffin »

If you go to a local electrical motor factors and shew them yours then they will be able to find a pair near to yours. I bought a number of pairs deliberatly slightly larger and then dressed them down to fit the brush holders. They are also slightly longer to achieve a greater pressure on the communtator to stop arching with the reduction of spring pressure once they have bedded in. Compared to NLM whose prices at the time were opportunistic and extortionate these that I bought I think from a Lucas electrical dealer. were next to nothing couple of quid a pair.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

harrymuffin wrote:If you go to a local electrical motor factors and shew them yours then they will be able to find a pair near to yours...
I did that and am now spending time at Her Majesty's pleasure! :)
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

You're pleasuring Her Majesty?
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Well, not the sort of MRC advice you normally expect... But back at the question of starter motor brushes, you must have a lot more helpful parts people than those I can find! All I get is "sorry mate, if it isn't listed in my catalogue I ain't interested". Maybe I need to shop about! Thanks though, I will keep up the search and if I nail it I will let you know what fits.

David.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

simonnorthroad wrote:You're pleasuring Her Majesty?
No. Treasonable behaviour.

For brushes try http://www.robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.u ... index.html
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi all, I have managed to find some brushes that will do the job - as fitted to a Piaggio Ape of similar vintage. The original Morini size for the brushes is, I think, some 20mm long (I have to guess a bit here as mine are worn) by 7mm deep and 14 mm wide. The Piaggio Ape parts I have got hold of are about 42mm long, 6mm deep and 14mm wide. So not an exact match, but cutting down to length is relatively easy and they do have the correct electrical connectors bound into the brush so fit straight on. I got them for about £25 delivered from Italy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-4-Pcs-Br ... 2749.l2649

With a bit of fiddling, I think these should do the trick.

All best,

David.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Will you shim the depth to get a good fit, 6 vs 7mm? It'll be very bad if the brushes can tilt and/or shake in the boxes. :shock:

Nick
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi Nick,

Yes, you are quite right there - but with a bit of fiddling a thin plastic liner should do the trick to make the boxes a touch narrower. Obviously it would be much better have them exactly the right size I know, but in the end there aren't any better choices that I have found. When my existing brushes are shot I will give them a try. And at least this way I have a fighting chance of keeping the show on the road for not too much cash. If you come across any which will do the job better, please let me know.

Cheers,

David.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Hi David,

You could try Woodauto in Huddersfield. I got spare brushes for the (Ducati) starter motor in my '85 Cagiva Alazzurra from them in 2013, which I'll try and dig out to measure the size. The firm is still going, www.woodauto.com or sales@woodauto.co.uk.

Cheers,

Nick
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

David,

Just a follow-up on the brushes I got. I must have had the idea that members of the Alazzurra group were going to beat a path to my door as I bought 4 sets of 4 brushes! Anyway, I doubt they of any use to you, as they are 17.2mm long, 9.89mm wide and 6.87mm thick, WoodAuto code SBR 5523. The ones you describe are so much bigger that they could have been meant for some industrial use, instead of tickling a little 350 into life!

Cheers,

Nick
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi Nick, many thanks for checking anyway. The Morini starter motor is certainly a monster compared to most bikes - the one on my Raptor 1000 is barely half the size!

David.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

David,

Connections continue to be made: '72degrees' of Morini fame turns out to be a Gilera enthusiast like me, and I admit to being a serial Cagiva collector with both sizes of Raptor among several other models! Do you partake of the Raptor Chapter UK forum by any chance? A very friendly batch of owners, kept in check by moderators of the female persuasion, which makes a nice change.

Nick
david3661

Post by david3661 »

Hi Nick, I have had my Raptor for some years now and love it. And for good measure my brother has a V-raptor and a Ducati Indiana - which as I am sure you know is in fact a Cagiva in disguise! I occasionally dip into the raptor chapter, but mine has been so well behaved I haven't needed to go there much. Whilst my Morini on the other hand...
Bruce3500

Post by Bruce3500 »

Hi All,
Just had a look on www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk and found product code;140339 are a near size L=22mm,H=15mm,Thickness=8mm,
they are for a Lucas starter motor but maybe able to trim down, thought this may help,
Thanks, Bruce