Flasher problems

The 3 1/2 forum
hphilbo

Flasher problems

Post by hphilbo »

Hello all,
Making good progress with my 1976 3 1/2 sport but I’m currently struggling with the indicators. They stopped working completely so I replaced the flasher relay with as close to like for like as I could find. With replacement relay fitted, the left hand side are flashing normally but right hand side are flashing too fast. There are a couple of previously installed choc block connectors in the circuit which I have re-made, the bulbs are all 21w. Any tips on what to check gratefully received.
Phil Hewitt
hendre

Re: Flasher problems

Post by hendre »

is there a short or extra load somewhere on the right? seems on the right side there is less resistance which would explain the fast blinking
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Any chance if you swap the bulbs left to right?
John
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

ours did something like that when we first bought it. I checked all the wattages and they were correct. Turned out in the end a previous owner had used 6V bulbs and the impedance was different, which was the root of the problems.

G&A
hphilbo

Post by hphilbo »

Thanks for responses and suggestions. Problem is now resolved. I managed to source a direct replacement for the flasher relay, (FR-9H). I got it from Ridewill.it. Italian website, plugged it in today and the indicators are working perfectly.
Frustratingly I can’t provide a technical explanation, just glad it’s sorted. The wife will kill me if she sees the shipping costs though!