350 Exhaust Options

The 3 1/2 forum
George 350

Re: 350 Exhaust Options

Post by George 350 »

If the silencers aren't getting hot enough to dry them out, then you aren't riding it far enough or hard enough! (Or both!) Seriously though, short journeys at moderate speeds won't do any system much good (except stainless). I have the Brituro double seams on mine - as sold by NLM. Not as 'correct' as the Italian made ones, but are still good after 5 years use. Music is a good approximation of the original Lafranconi double seams and they fitted without any modifications. (Yes I have a used pair of the originals and no, they are NOT for sale).
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Going right back in time to my C15, I fill my silencers with oil then drain them out.All except Keihan or the fabulous Breakwell and Green stainless systems as fitted to all the airheads I have had. It also satisfies my urge to ride a 2 stroke. It staves of corrosion for a good while.
AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

I have a 2-1 Ricky Racer pipe on my 350. It sounds fantastic.
Attachments
IM00017c.jpg
IM00017c.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
kainsworth

Post by kainsworth »

Hi

Can we still buy chrome downpipes, I can only find stainless ones?

Regards

Kevin
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

kainsworth wrote:Hi

Can we still buy chrome downpipes, I can only find stainless ones?

Regards

Kevin
I bought these for my '77 3 1/2 Strada:
https://motostoricheitaliane.com/collet ... orini-350/
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

There's now a 20 per cent tax on items from the EU.
Thanks a bunch, Brexit voters
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

You need to remove the Italian VAT...
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

MickeyMoto wrote:You need to remove the Italian VAT...
Hi Mickey,

Happy New Year to you - trust all is well?
Re your quoted comment, I am not sure what your comment is getting at - are you saying that if purchasing from Italy one can get them to delete the VAT imposed by Italy and then one has to pay UK VAT? How easy is that to do? What about other EU countries, does the same process apply?

Ciao,
Charles
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello Charles,

Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully we'll meet at some point this year.

VAT on a purchase in the EU is paid at point of sale and is paid in the country of purchase. Now the UK has left the EU Customs Union no VAT is due and is paid on import to the UK to the UK government.

The seller should not charge VAT. However, a cost would probably be due for customs clearance. Royal Snail charge £8 for parcels. This is the same as exists from outside the EU. Maybe someone from the US could confirm this is the case.

I do not know why this has come as a shock to anybody. The shenanigans in December was over tariffs, the VAT and customs paperwork was always going to be required.

Anybody know any different?
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi Mickey, thanks for the clarification. I guess that if the VAT in the EU country is higher than that in the UK then the cost might actually go down - that will be a first!!
Adios,
Charles
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Steady on, Charles. Prices drop? Unheard of!

I'm still trying to get my head around the new way of working. I think it will take a while for it to all run smoothly. Regardless of any point of view, it is reality and we have to live with reality, not what we wish the situation to be.

For me, unless there is no choice, I'll buy from a UK distributor as all the paperwork, VAT etc will be sorted. However, with our dirty little secret, aka Italian motorcycles, this is not possible. I presume you have bought things for your Laverda from Canada, Australia, Germany etc. It would be handy if the UK Morini and Laverda parts stockists would stock a full range of parts! It would spread the freight and customs clearance costs. I think that is going to be the biggest addition to pricing. This will probably be reflected in the freight costs.

Just to complicate matters, for UK read GB as the NI part probably doesn't apply. Just need to register an address in Belfast and I'll handle your EU orders! :)

Still waiting to see if anybody contradicts or confirms my understanding. Maybe we should re visit this at the end of March to see what the reality is?

Vaccine, anybody?
Ming

Post by Ming »

Well said, Mr Moto. Speaking from t'other side of the Channel I have no idea what will happen if I want to buy stuff from your side, I suppose we'll have to 'suck it and see'.
There are more important things to deal with at the moment, but at least we don't have leaders urging armed rebellion, yet.
Bruce3500

Post by Bruce3500 »

Hi All,
If anyone is looking for a new exhaust system,
Just found today on Ebay, 1x new never fitted 'Valentini Tuning' 2 into1 exhaust system out of Italy but you may need a mortgage as it is
approx £540.08 + £36.07 P+P, then i suppose we have to pay import duty on parts now,
Thought may be of interest to somebody, Looking at the pictures i can not see why one of the exhaust people in the classic racing world
couldn't make one, but there again how much would this cost ? - could there be a chance of making a few if enough interested ? just a thought.
Regards, Bruce