350 Exhaust Options

The 3 1/2 forum
simonnorthroad

350 Exhaust Options

Post by simonnorthroad »

I bought a 350 drumbrake Sport minus exhausts so Im pondering my options, here in the UK

Downpipes and correct-seamed Lafranconis/replicas. Made in Italy, shortlived chrome (I'm guessing. See Tom's pair in the For Sale section). Armours stainless or Keihan stainless.
I have a stainless set on my 501/350 made by one or other of the above, which came with the bike. Beautiful but effin' noisy, precious little back-pressure.The bike is fast but ragged running
hendre

Re: 350 Exhaust Options

Post by hendre »

buy the double seamed ones from Tom and have 'm properly rechromed :D
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Are Mdina still supplying the NLM stainless 2:1 systems?

Ah, drum brake sport - so originality at all costs ;)
huub

Post by huub »

just get chrome ones you are unlikely going to ride it on salted roads,
Even crappy italian chrome is going to last if you dont run the bike year round.

and you keep your bike original, which is a good idea if you ever sell it.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

huub wrote:just get chrome ones you are unlikely going to ride it on salted roads,
Even crappy italian chrome is going to last if you dont run the bike year round.

Sell a Morini ????

OK ,<counts on fingers> 4. Never going to sell the 2C/375 though - "who would ever buy it?", you cry ;)
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I'm not for "originality at all costs" hence considering stainless aftermarket but if I sell the bike, the next owner may be s Rivet counter.
I know who made NLMs 2-1 pipes, beautifully made but he's no fan of noisy exhausts, and his pipes ruined the performance of a Guzzi Le Mans I put them on
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Hmm. For the last few hill climb events I did with my original L5 equipped engine I swapped the special race 2:1 for the NLM 2:1 from the road bike. It seemed to go pretty well on it breathing through PHBH28s and using NLM ignition module, conventional coils and OEM type 2 red pickup. Too may variables - perhaps it would have gone even better on the legendary 2:2 straight factory spec 'mega' equipped pipes setup. Then as an ex 'Noise inspector' I'm also no fan of noisy exhausts ;) , plus you can be banned from more runs at Prescott if you can't pass the noise test just past the start line.

They are indeed very well made in my experience. Even coping with the additional stress of being nailed on to a 350 in a 250 frame.

Fair point about selling a drum brake Sport on though.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Buy the pieces that make you happy, not the next owner.
huub

Post by huub »

72degrees wrote:
huub wrote:just get chrome ones you are unlikely going to ride it on salted roads,

Sell a Morini ????

OK ,<counts on fingers> 4. Never going to sell the 2C/375 though - "who would ever buy it?", you cry ;)
I'm no good at selling morini's myself, currently need who hands to count my morini's..
But drum brake sports seem to be collectables nowadays.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I'll do have a black 350 2-1. Believe it's a Ricky Racer pipe rather than Valentini
pedro

Post by pedro »

Simon,

I do have an unused 350 stainless two into one exhaust that Harymuffin of this parish made up for me a few years back, I had no sooner got it when a Valentini system fell in my lap and I used that, so the Harry one never got near the bike, but is in my shed and I will probably never use it. It looks extremely well made. PM me if you are interested.

Pete
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

pedro wrote:Simon,

I do have an unused 350 stainless two into one exhaust that Harymuffin of this parish made up for me a few years back, I had no sooner got it when a Valentini system fell in my lap and I used that, so the Harry one never got near the bike, but is in my shed and I will probably never use it. It looks extremely well made. PM me if you are interested.

Pete
If it's a Harrymuffin one it may be like the one I had off him. It gave good service on the Forgotten Error, despite having to be 'modified' to fit. My spill at Loton, damaged it, but I was able to repair the split where the two header pipes join the 'silencer'. I've been running it on the hack until recently. My modifications probably reduced its power potential (hand bending of the pipes without proper means of maintaining roundness) but it has a good 'note'. Does not require half rings either.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Pedro Ive PMed you.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

simonnorthroad wrote:I'll do have a black 350 2-1. Believe it's a Ricky Racer pipe rather than Valentini
Simon, if you ever decide to part with your black 2 into 1s please give me a shout, I’d like a set on the K1.

Thanks,
Tom
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

The right hand muffler will rust out from the inside no matter what. The pipe on that side is so long and the muffler doesn't get hot enough to get rid of moisture. The left hand muffler never rusts internally.

I bought stainless Armours mufflers for this reason.