Return to Strada Spec

The 3 1/2 forum
trinder

Return to Strada Spec

Post by trinder »

Hi Guys,
I have now had to let head rule heart, Just retuned my Morini3 1/2 to the Stradaspec that I originally purchased it in due to my advancing years and now not being able to hack the Cafe Racer riding position due to a back injury. As part of the change over I had to replace he choke Eucharist on the carbs as one of the plastic operating levers had become brittle and snapped through age. I replaced both as a matter of preventative maintenance with new parts from Eurocarb which were identical to the old screwed ne part home turned on the fuel and with a shut throttle it revved its nut s off any suggestions?
Daddy Dom

Re: Return to Strada Spec

Post by Daddy Dom »

There are two sizes but as you said, the parts were identical - so I guess you held them up to each other?
Has anything fallen down the hole?
DD
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Tell us it is choke mechanism part 8294 which is 34 mm from the base of the mounting casting to the tip of the choke piston, or 8293 which is 41mm. The throttle cables are properly seated in the carb top adjusters?
John
trinder

Post by trinder »

The choke parts are part number 8294 and are identical to the old ones. I checked down the holes and there is nothing in there that shouldn’t be.The throttle cables are the ones that came with the bike and were not changed when I put the Tarrotzi clip ons and rear sets on in 2012. I checked the cable seatings and when operated without the engine running I could hear the slides seating against the stops should I changed the throttle cables although they are in good condition? I also noticed that the throttle cables are routed around the headstock and into the frame and there does not seem to be a lot of spare cable. As I said in the opening of this thread, nothing apart from the choke mechanism has been changed. Thanks for your input so far.

Neil
JonD

Post by JonD »

We haven't said if the chokes were on or off when the engine was revving it's nuts off. With both chokes on my 3 1/2 revs to over 3000 rpm with the throttles closed. With one choke only it is much better. If you take the chokes out you should see a small round indentation on the rubber sealing face if they are sealing properly.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

When I was i investigating a carb problem on some PHBH carbs I removed the float bowls, removed the starter jets and with suitable bolts ( cannot remember the spec) blanked off the starter circuits completely.This was where I had blocked passages. I wanted to prove it was not hanging chokes ( of the cable variety) which it was not.
I do need a bit of choke now whereas previously I did not so something of an improvement.
What happens if you wind the slide screws ( throttle stop) out ?
Any new air leaks?
John
trinder

Post by trinder »

JonD wrote:We haven't said if the chokes were on or off when the engine was revving it's nuts off. With both chokes on my 3 1/2 revs to over 3000 rpm with the throttles closed. With one choke only it is much better. If you take the chokes out you should see a small round indentation on the rubber sealing face if they are sealing properly.
OK, so the chokes were in the closed position (levers horizontal) prior to changing things round, the bike started normally on one choke round 1800 RPM chokes off tick over 1000 rpm. Took out the new chokes after the rev its nuts off experience and found witness marks on the rubber seals to indicate that they were seating correctly. I did not remove the carbs from the bike so no sign of any unwanted air getting in.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Trapped/dislodged throttle cable hanging up on the carb-top adjuster?
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

Did you have the slides out? It's possible on VHBs to install them backwards - taller face to the filter side.
trinder

Post by trinder »

AntietamClassicCycle wrote:Did you have the slides out? It's possible on VHBs to install them backwards - taller face to the filter side.
Hi, the slides were not removed, that is what is puzzling. The only things that have been removed were the chokes and the twist grip off the clip ons. The twist grip was not dismantled, just loosened and slid off the end of the handlebar.
trinder

Post by trinder »

simonnorthroad wrote:Trapped/dislodged throttle cable hanging up on the carb-top adjuster?
I can only think that this is what it is, I shall take the throttle cables out inspect re route and hope for the best.
trinder

Post by trinder »

Well Guys,
Thanks for all your helpful input. The problem has been solved :) After reading the latest replies to my thread this morning, I went up to my very chilly shed and started to look at the suggestion of throttle cable hang up. Started at the carb end and although I had screwed the adjusters right in after the first rev its nuts off moment I could feel no slack in the cable. So I looked along the frame for any sign of being caught and there was none. Followed the cables all the way up to the throttle twistgrip still no sign of anything amiss the ferrules were seated as they should be. Twisted the throttle very gently to see if there was any sign of slack in the cables and there was still none. Very odd! Stood back and scratched my head for a while getting ever colder and thought “there’s nothing for it, dismantle the twistgrip”. I was just going to start getting busy with the Allen keys and then I spotted the problem. My 3 1/2 is fitted with the the Japanese style switchgear, and where the throttle cables enter the twistgrip they go through a rectangular shaped housing which on closer inspection slides in and out to facilitate cable changing. Somehow, this had moved out during the swap over on the handlebars and had not returned back square and one side was angled out of the housing by about 1/8 of an inch which in effect opened the throttle. After re seating it squarely, roughly setting the tick over screws fired her up and she ran perfectly. So after adjusting the slack out of the cables and setting up the carbs with my carb synchroniser, I now have a Strada-Sport that ticks over at 1800 rpm. Funny how you can stare at something for hours and not see the obvious. Thank once again for all your help guys.

Regards,
Neil
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Neil, it's that Japanese whisky that does it.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
trinder

Post by trinder »

Steve Brown wrote:Neil, it's that Japanese whisky that does it.
You should know Steve, I seem to remember you drank most of it :)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Glad it is sorted. I have the reverse situation to staring at the obvious inasmuch as I know I had an insurance renewal letter on the end of the bed.There has not been any unseemly threshing about yet the envelope is nowhere to be seen.
I can do it via the website but it is very odd.
John