pilot light 239 LED equivalent

The 3 1/2 forum
mbmm350s

pilot light 239 LED equivalent

Post by mbmm350s »

Has anyone experimented with replacing the pilot light 5W festoon bulb in the standard CEV headlight with an LED equivalent.
Filament type or discrete LEDs? Any recommendation?
Cheers
Mark
trinder

Re: pilot light 239 LED equivalent

Post by trinder »

Yes I have one fitted to my bike, bought it quite cheaply at Halfords, they come in packs of 2 and are much better than the standard incandescent type.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hmmm had to think about this. I have a Cibie concave headlamp and am fairly sure my pilot is a T10 wedge. Whether it should be I have no idea but i fitted a LED of some sort in 2007 and its been there ever since. My only concern is that it is a bit blue white. Doubtless technology has moved on so warm white must be available.
If I had the compatible terminal I would use a 20W bulb as per the airheads.Very effective.
Main thing seems to be cleaning the inside of the reflector with some kind of alcohol now and again to get the haze off. Again a once in 20 year job. Maybe I should try Riga Black Balsam or Laos vodka as they taste like sh*t.How cosmopolitan.
John
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Thanks Trinder - I saw they had some options at halfords, one cheap and one expensive.

Ah John, Its the Bosch fitting CEVs headlights with the horizontal festoon bulb, which peeps through a little slot in the reflector.
If it wasn't for the fact that its a very good condition original CEV headlight I would change it for one of Mr Goffs.
As for cleaning apparently gin is the best - less sticky and leaves an aroma of whatever is the latest faddish thing to put in gin,
dahlia and bergamot or some nonsense.
Sadly I bought a CiBIE unit years ago and only this year fitted it to a 250 which was then stolen.
cheers
Mark