Capless idiot light bulb size

The 3 1/2 forum
Steve Brown

Re: Capless idiot light bulb size

Post by Steve Brown »

nickst4 wrote:That's bad news about the MOT regulations, but I wonder how strictly they will be applied, especially as regards bikes? I've run a HID H4 in my '85 Alazzurra for a good 15 years and it has never been questioned. As it happens, that particular HID bulb is the only one of several installations that has survived for any length of time, and the rest of the dozen or so bikes are all converted to LED, as are both of the cars. MOT time will be interesting this year. Glad I'm on good terms with both chaps I use, and I didn't say that! :wink:

Nick
It always surprises me how much variation there is from one test station to another-and I was a qualified MoT tester too, about 20 years ago. I have my favourite test stations, not because I need a dodgy certificate but just because I know the ones who know the rules best and have less aggro from DVSA who oversee them all. It's just a 'thing' I have about credible documentation, especially if I want to sell the vehicle soon. When time is short and the best place is booked up I use other local stations. I even had one other 'proper' tester suspect me of being a DVSA 'secret shopper' and went absolutely to the book over the test, checking even the most tiny detail. It's surprising how much longer a proper test takes compared to some of the more 'relaxed' places. In those places the tester usually takes a tea/fag break while the clock ticks, just so he doesn't log off the computer too soon and trigger a check by DVSA.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
trinder

Post by trinder »

Steve Brown wrote:
nickst4 wrote:That's bad news about the MOT regulations, but I wonder how strictly they will be applied, especially as regards bikes? I've run a HID H4 in my '85 Alazzurra for a good 15 years and it has never been questioned. As it happens, that particular HID bulb is the only one of several installations that has survived for any length of time, and the rest of the dozen or so bikes are all converted to LED, as are both of the cars. MOT time will be interesting this year. Glad I'm on good terms with both chaps I use, and I didn't say that! :wink:

Nick
It always surprises me how much variation there is from one test station to another-and I was a qualified MoT tester too, about 20 years ago.
Now that surprises me Herr Flick :shock: Some testing stations don’t even know the regulations applying to historic vehicles. Before my 1940 G3 WO was declared MOT exempt, I took it to have it tested as required and was summoned by the tester to the bike to be told that it was an immediate fail. I asked why and he told me “headlight mate, it hasn’t got a pre focus lens” after I had picked myself up off the floor from laughing so much, I politely told him to look at the regulations pertaining to a motorcycle built in 1940 before the advent of pre focus headlight as the Lucas Difusa lens was correct and if he wanted, I would go home and get the headlight mask to make it absolutely correct for the year and disconnect the aftermarket brake light switch. I scored an apology and a mug of tea from that one. Since the Matchless was declared MOT exempt, I have never bothered to have it tested as I know more about the bike than the testers do, they always called me to start it as they hadn’t go a clue how to. As my Morini now qualifies under the 40 year rule, the LED replacement regulation is completely academic.
trinder

Post by trinder »

mbmm350s wrote:Mr Al limite wrote:
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'
To be fair - Morinis of this era i.e sports/stradas/250 etc of the 70s and 80s, were fitted with OEM CEV with Bosch type BA20D fitting non halogen 35/30W or 45/40W and as such, and I stand to be corrected, it is not a fail to convert these or indeed Lucas fittings to LED. The specifics of the regulation quoted relate to Halogen unit conversion. e.g converting a CIBIE H4 unit to LED would be a fail. To avoid any issue surely just put a regular bulb in for the MOT?
Honestly you would be better off with a bicycle LED lamp strapped to your head than an OEM 35/30W headlamp.

Cheers
MArk
I have checked this out and as Mark has said Morinis fitted with OEM CEV Bosch type BA20D fittings and Tungsten filament bulbs can legally change to LED bulbs and not be a fail. The regulation only applies to motorcycles fitted with OEM Halogen H4 headlights and will be a fail if converted. I have now fitted the 286 LED bulbs that arrived courtesy of Amazon today and the whole shebang works as it should.RESULT! All I need now is to get out and ride as I can’t find anymore routine maintenance to do.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

My other bike should have twin BA20s in a CEV 198 unit (though upon checking today it has 35/35w halogen replacements) so that sounds like a legal convertion. It has much more fiddlesome access so would be good not to have to change back and forth for the MOT . Still a significant spend.
John
Al Limite

Post by Al Limite »

FWIW from the source of my prior post on LED's:

'The regulations seem to have changed again:

From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.

For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.'

Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.

Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions'
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Hurrah! The folks on the GuzziRiders site have been discussing this today and I thought I'd check to see if you-all knew about it. Great news, and a blow for common sense, I think. It still leaves me with two post '86 cars with LED-converted lights, but I'm thinking maybe a quick switch back to halogen for the test is the best option. Not that getting the headlamp units out of a modern car is very quick...

Nick