Crankcase Breather Labrynth

The 3 1/2 forum
Steve Brown

Re: Crankcase Breather Labrynth

Post by Steve Brown »

'It must be a .....' wrote:Stainless washers with flats silver soldered on a stainless rod?
:lol: :lol: That sounds like my sort of bodge Ian! Only I would do it cheaper! Stainless washers with flats on a threaded stainless rod with a series of locknuts spacing them at exactly the right distance. This exactly right distance would need to be determined of course and may even lead to arguments similar to what's the best oil/tyre/petrol?
Of course if things were tight that month I may forgo the stainless for some cheaper galvanised building materials. :wink:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

You could try plastic washers and rod. Easy to work with and, with the possible use of a solvent glue, easily modified.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Locknuts eh? If I tried that I would bet one would fall through the breather casting.
I did not know that these labyrinths were so scarce. I changed my old breather hose for some new ages ago and recall what a swine it was to get the labyrinths in.
John
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

A nyloc nut at each end wouldn't budge. Not really an issue no as they will no longer be a rare bit of unobtanium. Thanks to various people making them in aluminium or plastic, lathe work or 3D printer, there will now be a worldwide glut of them. :)
trinder

Post by trinder »

Steve Brown wrote:
'It must be a .....' wrote:Stainless washers with flats silver soldered on a stainless rod?
:lol: :lol: That sounds like my sort of bodge Ian! Only I would do it cheaper! Stainless washers with flats on a threaded stainless rod with a series of locknuts spacing them at exactly the right distance. This exactly right distance would need to be determined of course and may even lead to arguments similar to what's the best oil/tyre/petrol?
Of course if things were tight that month I may forgo the stainless for some cheaper galvanised building materials. :wink:
Tight that month? You do a very passable imitation of a Yorkshireman Steve you’re so “careful” with your brass :lol: :lol:
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

trinder wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:
Tight that month? You do a very passable imitation of a Yorkshireman Steve you’re so “careful” with your brass :lol: :lol:
Watch it yow, yow am skating on thin ice borra. (or something) Brass? Now that would work...

Seriously folks-has anyone started 3D printing these yet? I'm in the market if so.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Steve Brown wrote:
Watch it yow, yow am skating on thin ice borra.
You from Dudley then?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Vitesse wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:
Watch it yow, yow am skating on thin ice borra.
You from Dudley then?
Not me, but Noddy Holders' younger brother over there is.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Steve Brown wrote: Seriously folks-has anyone started 3D printing these yet? I'm in the market if so.
The file for my design is floating around somewhere and people have printed their own.
I know you have one of my coil bobbins. I had those printed by https://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0 ... BhEALw_wcB

You pay by total print volume, so you need to nest the parts together. The more parts you nest, the better the part to volume ratio. You then have to decide just how many you're willing to pay for in a batch. I have an adequate supply of labyrinths for my own needs, so I didn't have any done when I did the coil bobbins (a batch of 20 was cost effective).
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru