Removing cylinder head bolts

The 3 1/2 forum
AndyB57

Re: Removing cylinder head bolts

Post by AndyB57 »

72degrees wrote:
AndyB57 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but having looked at various drawings I cannot for the life of me work out what the Allen bolt does! The pushrods on my engine can be removed with it in situ - does that mean something is missing if the bolt is supposed to secure them in some way?
Helps seal the head gasket round the push rod tunnel. You can remove the pushrods, but you won't be able to lift the head until the cap screw is out.
Thank you.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

You'd be surprised how many people have tried to get the cylinder head off while that cap head screw is still fitted! :shock: It can lead to damage so best to slacken that first.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

When replacing the head, new nylocs should be used and the specified torque is for oiled threads.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Steve Brown wrote:You'd be surprised how many people have tried to get the cylinder head off while that cap head screw is still fitted! :shock: It can lead to damage so best to slacken that first.
Sounds like the 2 allen bolts in the middle of a Guzzi sump. Many a sump missing fins as people have tried levering it off with these still in place.
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

EVguru wrote:When replacing the head, new nylocs should be used and the specified torque is for oiled threads.
Thank you - I did both.