Tank Badge Removal

The 3 1/2 forum
bizzywizzy

Tank Badge Removal

Post by bizzywizzy »

I'm about to start prepping my tank and side panels for a respray and would like to find out how easy it is to remove the tank badges without damaging them and the same for the filler cap too.

Thanks,

Mike
mbmm350s

Re: Tank Badge Removal

Post by mbmm350s »

Mike,
The tank badges were originally held by two long prongs into clips recessed inside the tank.
These clips often rusted, or were lost, or the prongs broken off.
Over the years I have come across many curious ways of them being affixed
including wood screws through the badge into wooden dowels rammed into the holes. Glued on with airfix glue or MEK or similar
who knows but had to chisel it off. Various form of sealant and silicone glue and of course double side tape.
So its anyone's guess how yours are affixed, thin blade slipped behind and go carefully is my advice.
lever near the prongs if they are as original fixing.

Filler cap: doddle in comparison, the clip at the rear can be lifted up with a small screwdriver
and the cap will usually slide or wiggle backwards
(or forwards if its an early sport tank)
Cheers
Mark
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

mbmm350s wrote:Mike,
The tank badges were originally held by two long prongs into clips recessed inside the tank.
These clips often rusted, or were lost, or the prongs broken off.
Over the years I have come across many curious ways of them being affixed
including wood screws through the badge into wooden dowels rammed into the holes. Glued on with airfix glue or MEK or similar
who knows but had to chisel it off. Various form of sealant and silicone glue and of course double side tape.
So its anyone's guess how yours are affixed, thin blade slipped behind and go carefully is my advice.
lever near the prongs if they are as original fixing.

Filler cap: doddle in comparison, the clip at the rear can be lifted up with a small screwdriver
and the cap will usually slide or wiggle backwards
(or forwards if its an early sport tank)
Cheers
Mark
Thanks Mark I will just be careful and see what is holding them in place.

Mike
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Dental floss may be used to free badges stuck on so I am told. My prongs on the tank badges were not present when I got the bike.
John
stradella

Post by stradella »

Years ago I removed the tank badges from a 1975 model without breaking them but I can't pretend to remember exactly how I did it. Maybe I used fishing line to get the badges out a bit at first. Maybe I just got lucky.

If you can get the badges out a little bit you might be able to get a thin/small screwdriver between badge and tank to very, very carefully lever out the badge. You might need to protect the tank's paint and the back of the badge from the screwdriver.

Best possible outcome might be if the clip thing itself comes out, with the prongs still intact. The clips hold the prongs by cutting into them a bit.