Won't turn over after winter rest

The 3 1/2 forum
ivanca

Won't turn over after winter rest

Post by ivanca »

Went to wake up my 79 Sport after its winter layup and can't not get the engine to turn over at all either on the kick start or when in gear and trying to turn the rear wheel. The gear lever action is also very sluggish and does not return to its position. It's as if its in thick treacle ! Clutch works ok and the kick start will turn easily with the clutch operating.
It was running fine late last summer but has not been run since . It's still pretty cold up here in t'north but can't think that thick cold oil would stop it turning over.
Any thoughts welcome, thanks
morini_tom

Re: Won't turn over after winter rest

Post by morini_tom »

Take the spark plugs out and try turning it over. Leaky fuel tap and float can drain the tank into the engine...

If you have a cylinder and sump full of fuel you should do an oil change too.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

morini_tom wrote:Take the spark plugs out and try turning it over. Leaky fuel tap and float can drain the tank into the engine...

If you have a cylinder and sump full of fuel you should do an oil change too.
And if there is real resistance, don't force it because if what Tom has suggested is right, you'll have a hydraulic lock and can bend the con rods! It used to happen on Suzukil VX800s when the fuel taps dumped into the cylinders and was seriously-bad news!

Nick
ivanca

Post by ivanca »

Thanks, did try that but still solid, also the tank has been off since the bike was put away to be re painted and has not had any fuel through it since.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Spark plugs out and a small amount of WD40 into the cylinders, leave a while, then into gear and rock gently forward?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Ming wrote:Spark plugs out and a small amount of WD40 into the cylinders, leave a while, then into gear and rock gently forward?
I'd go along with what Ming says above assuming it's the rings stuck to the bores. If that is what has happened in a few months there must be a lot of condensation inside that crankcase that hasn't been dried out before storage.
You mention also that it feels like it's stuck in treacle? I had that happen once when I'd treated my Bonneville with STP. On one very cold morning (in the region of -10c outside a hotel on a German autobahn) I couldn't turn it over on the kickstart. I had to remove the plugs and gradually free it off by kicking it over for what seemed like ages. Eventually I put the plugs back in and managed to start it.

So you need to find out what is stuck and why. Rings stuck to cylinder bore=corrosion that can be dealt with in the way Ming says. Or Oil so thick it is doing the treacle impersonation=do what I did or if it will drain get shot of it and put some proper stuff in there to suit the climate where you are. Or more worrying, something mechanical has taken a rest and a quick lie down, and got itself jammed in the works=This bit is obviously highly technical and involves stripping it down for a look-see/laugh. Fortunately I think it's the least likely by far, so it falls into the category of typical internet help of the kind you get on Facebook. Also the cambelt if it breaks, can leave the cam in a position to interfere with the cranky bits.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
ivanca

Post by ivanca »

Thanks guys for all the help. Glad to say Ming's idea did the trick and got it free this afternoon and now kicks over perfectly.
I think your suggestion Steve of condensation is probably correct as well as I did have it running on the driveway for a while before I put it away for the winter and stated on my tank renovation. Guess a lesson learned there for me ! Hopefully the bores will be ok but will find out soon enough as I have a 402 kit to fit soon so will be able to take a look and see how they are.
Thanks to all , great to know help is out there when needed.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I'm curious and interested, which 402cc kit do you have for the bike?
ivanca

Post by ivanca »

I have the one from Ducati Development Dortmund. I also got them to supply barrels rather than send mine to be relined as I wanted the option to return to standard if I ever sell on. Not cheap but gives me options.
DDD have increased prices so it more expensive than the website was listing ( although I haven't checked recently and may have updated). I am going to get back running as standard first so I know everything else is working ok so will probably fit the kit later in the year. If you want more details just let me know.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

As and when you get to try out the kit I'd love to learn of your experience and perception of the kit from Dortmund. I've a 350 sport with the '400' Morini Nikasil barrels which works out somewhere around 380 - 390cc (I've forgotten the exact volumes). It certainly seems to have more mid-range torque than a standard 350, however I've yet to measure it on a dyno. I will do someday when that's practical.
ivanca

Post by ivanca »

More mid range is what I am looking. Reading the forum for refs to the capacity increase all report similar findings to you so I am looking forward to seeing how it feels to ride once fitted. I will let you know. Would be interesting to see the figures if you do get it onto the Dyno too.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I obtained a set of DDD pistons and supplied a set barrels for Pete Farrel's race bike. They were to replace the worn out 375 (366cc) originals. I think he found them a significant improvement.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru