Calliper misalignment.

The 3 1/2 forum
Mark

Calliper misalignment.

Post by Mark »

Hi all.
The 2 discs are binding on the calliper bodies on my K1.
At first I figured I was missing a wheel spacer as I don’t seem to have the conical one listed in the book but the discs are both binding on the inner surface of their respective callipers, so moving the wheel sideways a millimetre or so will free one side but not the other.
I guess I can source 4 slim washers and pack out the calliper mounting points on either side but I’d rather understand the problem.
The bike was a mess when I started, the forks are replacement second hand but seem in good no damage condition and the wheel and it’s associated spindle, spacers etc are all original, as are the callipers. The discs aren’t warped, the drag is consistent over a whole turn of the wheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.
Ming

Re: Calliper misalignment.

Post by Ming »

I think it's quite common to use shims to get the best positioning for caliper / disc. I've certainly used shims on a couple of mine.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Ming.
Thanks for the reply.
I’ll shim it to suit then.
Just got locked down again for a month here, 10km max distance from home so it’s back to the shed again!
I guess you’ve escaped that fate where you are.

Cheers,Mark.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mark
At first I figured I was missing a wheel spacer as I don’t seem to have the conical one
Don't worry about that its not a spacer its a grease shield used when non shielded bearings were used.
I just removed recently one randomly fitted on the outside of the circlip.

Perhaps the replacement fork legs were modified to suit another setup.
I assume that all disk mounting faces are clear of paint, though i think from your description
this would be the wrong way. Also replacement non OEM disks may have a different offset from original

As Ming says, I too have used a shims.

Cheers
Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Mark.
Based on the opinions here I’ve just shimmed them and all is now sweet.
Thanks for the input.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Mark...I guess you’ve escaped that fate where you are.Cheers,Mark.[/quote wrote: Glad the shims worked. We're not too inconvenienced here in the 'empty quarter', just the curfew to deal with, which for old country folk is no great problem so far. Plenty of good local wine in to deaden the pain.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Perhaps the replacement fork legs were modified to suit another setup.
Glad you have it sorted. Did we establish whether yours are even the correct Paioli or Marzocchi 35mm forks?
It's quite possible that someone fitted Ducati discs (as I once had) and modified the fork leg rather than the disc when setting up.
DD
MRC 3082½