'77 strada with X1 Engine

The 3 1/2 forum
bobajob

'77 strada with X1 Engine

Post by bobajob »

I have a 19977 Strada that I bought a good few years ago and have rebuilt. It came with a replacement engine from a Kanguro X1, the non-originality doesn’t bother me but I’d be interested to understand the differences between this and the original. I believe it has plated barrels (Nickasil?) but not familiar of any other differences. Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable folks cold educate me.

Thanks

Bob
Ming

Re: '77 strada with X1 Engine

Post by Ming »

My Strada has a similar set up. It was originally built as a Sport by the Allfree brothers, I believe, and has a gas-flowed head, Nikasil barrels and non-standard wiring. Plus a Sport paint job. I wouldn't worry about any differences between Strada and Kanguro engines, just enjoy it - I found the Kanguro a 'nicer' bike anyway, as I preferred the riding position.
buzby

Post by buzby »

Different camshaft on the X1 and also the 6v/12v stator. I've got a 76 Strada I built with a Kanguro bottom half as the main bearings had failed on the original engine.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

It also will have a different crankshaft compared to 1977 A engine, this crankshaft has different webs and was introduced in the K engine. It should as Ming says be a '"nicer" engine.
If the carbs were substituted from the Kanguro they will be VHBZ25HS carbs (not BS) which is fine but the jetting would be for the Kanguro airbox originally so worth checking the jetting is now set up for a standard 1977 350 strada as a starting point.
Cheers
Mark
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Thanks to all of you for the comments and information. I will check the carbs as I'm running the original strada airbox.

I'm not concerned about originality and the engine runs nicely so I'm happy with it just interested to understand the difference. Only issue I had when rebuilding was miss matched clocks as the X1 is mechanical tacho rather than the original electronic item. In the end I managed to track down a matching pair of clocks.

thanks again

Bob