Electric start

The 3 1/2 forum
Syko

Electric start

Post by Syko »

Having been told by the PO that the electric start on my '82' 350 Sport would only work when the bike was hot I have not had a chance to test it til yesterday. And, surprise,surprise-NOTHING! Just a good old whine, rather like when a bendix is not engaging on other bikes. Can anyone point me on a trouble shooting path , and can anyone suggest a good, permanent fix. I d like to have it working, even if I never use it.TIA
Last edited by Syko on 03 Nov 2021 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
3potjohn

Re: Electric start

Post by 3potjohn »

It will benefit from being stripped cleaned and rebuilt.The starter gearbox may no longer have any oil in it. Mine ran well after I rebuilt it until last week when it became very sluggish. A clean out and fresh oil restored its function.
This may help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZv2OtD7Rc

You will need to drop the right hand footpeg and possibly the gear lever pivot before removing the cover to access the motor.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Good question - those who haven't understood the hand-built nature of our bikes and the occasional engineering compromises made in keeping them up to date will say don't bother.

The rest of us will say, ours work fine. My advice is to check out Paul's rebuild videos on YouTube and I think it's Franco (?) who does exchange rebuilt starter-motors on the fb group.

They can be pretty handy when you're fine-tuning cold running and it cuts out at the lights!
Good luck,
DD
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Nowt worse than stalling in gear and having to find neutral to kick the thing into life in a crowded town!
Syko

Post by Syko »

Many thanks for your sage counsel :D
Syko

Post by Syko »

MDINA now have have the starter 'clutch' parts in stock @ £109 Inc vat
:D
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Did you ever get the motor apart? The videos mentioned will clarify.You can get it out of the case as its retained by 2 bolts through a metal plate.
My motor again started to be less than good. A quick strip of the gearbox unit revealed that the worm drive bearing was no longer fully seated in the case and nearly conflicting with the bronze gear but just got away with it.
I do not know if it migrated up in use or if I failed to seat it last time. Anyway it now works properly just it time for the ?penultimate MOT which makes the tester’s life easier.
You can jiggle the motor back over the chain to engage the sprocket .
John
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

3potjohn wrote: 28 Sep 2021 10:25 A quick strip of the gearbox unit revealed that the worm drive bearing was no longer fully seated in the case and nearly conflicting with the bronze gear but just got away with it.
The 609 bearing? It's semi floating in the case and held in place by the worm.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Syko

Post by Syko »

OK!
- shoes spin and flail out. Is there enough'meat' for them to grab the flywheel?
- what's this ('loose') tab for?
Last edited by Syko on 03 Nov 2021 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Syko

Post by Syko »

20211103_124137.jpg
20211103_124137.jpg (132.05 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

It's an eccentric stop to help set the chain tension.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Syko

Post by Syko »

EVguru wrote: 03 Nov 2021 13:07 It's an eccentric stop to help set the chain tension.
How does it work, and why is it loose? ( bolt done up tight)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I replaced the chain about ten years ago as there was evidence it was contacting the case. Pivoting the starter motor on it’s mounts to tension it was to no avail.No idea if the old one was original.
John
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Syko wrote: 03 Nov 2021 16:40
EVguru wrote: 03 Nov 2021 13:07 It's an eccentric stop to help set the chain tension.
How does it work, and why is it loose? ( bolt done up tight)
You probably have the wrong screw (too long) or the threaded hole is bunged up with debris. The cam thing should be held in place when the screw is tightened. You can get away without it though!
I see you have asked on FB as well, so have you seen the youtube videos mentioned there (and here) and previously too? They will tell you all about it!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Syko

Post by Syko »

Many thanks 😁