Silencer dimension

The 3 1/2 forum
Glennh

Silencer dimension

Post by Glennh »

Can anyone help with some dimensions?
I would like to know the dimensions of an original, I believe Lanfranconi, silencer, the one with the upper and lower vertical seam. In particular the overall length and diameter at the outlet end. If you a fortunate enough to possess such an item would you mind running a tape over it.

My bike currently has some aftermarket pipes that look really good on the bike but are far too noisy for my liking. I’m thinking of buying some reproduction “seamed” items. I know their dimensions but want to get an idea of the size of the original item first.

Thanks in advance for any help.
stradella

Re: Silencer dimension

Post by stradella »

Lafranconi, dual seam, for 350: Total length is 605 mm. Rear opening is 26 mm diameter. These measurements would, I imagine, be the same as the reproduction Lafranconis available now.

I have one Lafranconi dual seam which would be an earlier version and it is the same length as above but the opening is 24 mm.
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

That’s really helpful.
Dimensions for the original and aftermarket item are very similar.
Many thanks for your help.
Bison

Post by Bison »

Out of interest, which seamed silencers are you thinking of going for?, I have it in mind to do the same, my Busso's are great, but I prefer the look of the original seamed silencers.
Alan.
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

I found some silencers that looked like the originals at moto storiche, www.mtostoricheitaliane.com.

Out of curiosity I then checked Mdina Italia who, as it turns out, are offering top/bottom “seamed” silencers as per the originals. I contacted Mdina to ascertain the dimensions and in conversation it
would appear these silencers are a new line sourced from Italy and could therefore be from the same supplier as those from Moto Storiche. Dimensions - length, diameter at tail end, are very close to the originals.

At 605mm+/- these silencers are 100mm longer than the silencers on my bike which are a shallow tapered megaphone style. Aesthetically I think the shorter pipe looks better. Having said that, the
Mdina silencers, in my opinion, look nicer than the Busso alternative.
hendre

Post by hendre »

Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Hendre, thank you for the link to brezzisamuele. I believe their silencers are the same as those now sold by Mdina in the UK.

I’ve ordered a pair and should receive them in a couple of days. Very much looking forward to seeing and hearing them on the bike.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

A very interesting Discussion.
I am having to consider new silencers for y 1982 3 1/2 Strada.
Should I include the Armour offering in my thoughts or are they not near enough to the correct look?

MoT tomorrow and it is raining so hard I may have strap paddles to the bike and row there!!
Regards
Michael
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Good luck with the MOT. My K1 is due but its clear blue sky here and in the shade cast by my 20 ft bananas the g and t is most relaxing, so it will have to wait......
John
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Not sure what style of silencers were fitted to a 1982 model 3 1/2.
My current bike is, allegedly, pre 1980 and therefore I wanted the twin seam style article.
I took delivery of the Mdina supplied silencers today. They look fantastic. My first Morini 3 1/2 was purchased new in 1979. From my “rose tinted” recollections of that bike the Mdina silencers are an extremely good substitute for the originals and, though only a personal opinion, I think they look far better on the 3 1/2 than the Armour article.