Morini Speedo drive

The 3 1/2 forum
Carts

Morini Speedo drive

Post by Carts »

Hi

Was after some thought from the forum. The Speedo on the bike stoped working, investigation found out the crown drive on the hub is worn out. Is this a known fault. The mechanic who look after the bike has got a new one he’s currently fitting, but I’m more concerned how it happens I. The first thoughts is I didn’t local the wheel properly with the drive end cap and this caused the wear. Just don’t want it to happens again

Cheers carts
George 350

Re: Morini Speedo drive

Post by George 350 »

Hmm. Worn out speedo drive? Mine is currently at 98000 and something miles and over 40 years old and is perfectly fine, but as the only owner I have occasionally stripped and regreased mine over the years. First thoughts are that sometime in the bikes life the grease has been washed off the gears (perhaps during a tyre change?) or the gears have never been cleaned/regreased.
There is no 'locating' of the drive required -its not like a Jap or Brit bike with lugs needing engagement -the wheel spindle does that job for you.
Only other thing I can think of is if someone has installed new wheel bearings and not cleaned the hub properly first, resulting in a cracked gear on the wheel hub.
If both the drive gear AND the driven gears spindle are greased well, there is no reason to believe that the gears won't outlive you!
Regards, George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Carts

Post by Carts »

Thanks George for your comments, wheel has been on and off a lot over the last year. Problems with front disc. From your reply and nobody else saying they’ve had a problem I know it’s not a common fault, will have a good look at it and make sure plenty of grease on the parts when I get it reassembled

Thanks again.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I do recall the first time I took the front wheel out. I was amazed that there was no locating lug and wondered if mine was damaged! Quire feasible for someone to have stressed it by allowing it to rotate whilst doing up the axle. I'd expect the cable to be what gives but I guess if that seized it could cause the gear to strip.
Carts

Post by Carts »

Thanks Vittesse

Will check that cable rotates freely, I would of thought the cable would have been damaged first but worth a look.