New member with dodgy wheels!

The 3 1/2 forum
Laverda120

New member with dodgy wheels!

Post by Laverda120 »

Hi everyone. My name is Dave and I have just joined the club having been lurking around in the shadows for years! I fell in love with the 350 Sport back in 1978 when returning home on my 1966 Honda CB160 from day release at Willesden Technical College when a 350 Sport overtook me on the north circular. I kept up with it for a while in the heavy traffic and was stunned by the exhaust note and the looks of it. I of course wnated to buy one but the price of one was horrendous so I ended up with a CB400/4 and instead carried on dreaming about a 350 Morini Sport and the Laverda Jota as the two bikes I really wanted to own one day.
Moving on a good few years I purchased a genuine UK 1977 350 Sport in 2011 in a rather poor condition and set about its restoration. NLM rebuilt the engine and I did the rest. The bike has been finished for about 9 years and I have had many happy hours riding around. The one big mistake I made during the restoration concerns the wheels, they were an off-white colour when I purchased the bike but all the other paint was factory original. I made a big mistake by not having the wheels re-painted at the tiime and every time I look at the bike the wheels stand out especially the back one that gets its fair share of chain lube thrown up at it.
In view of the above I would like to get the wheels repainted. Having looked at various photos etc I am unable to decide what colour they should be, some appear to be silver whilst others appear to be grey. Can anyone point me in the right direction, is there a specific colour as in a RAL colour or did Moto Morini use whatever was available in the parts bin as Laverda seem to have done?
I also have a Laverda Jota 120 that I've owned for 20 years and am currently restoring a Dresda Triton I built 18 years ago and being of British stock it requires yet another rebuild!
3potjohn

Re: New member with dodgy wheels!

Post by 3potjohn »

Laverda120

Post by Laverda120 »

Thank you John. That's excellent, I can get the wheels repainted now.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

One piece of advice- do not try to remove the front wheel speedo ring gear. They are not available and almost impossible to remove without breaking.

Have the wheel painted with the speedo gear suitably masked