Where did it come from?

The 3 1/2 forum
Michael S

Where did it come from?

Post by Michael S »

I have had my '62 3 1/2 Strada for 6 years and 8000 very enjoyable miles. Cleaning the early electric start motor was less than a joy but very worthwhile.
I thought that Il would give the old girl some nice flat black paint and the right hand side and rocker covers has gone according to plan.
I did not inspect the left side carefully enough before I started un-bolting but having got half the bolts started I realised that painting in place was called for so I freed all the bolts and tightened it all back up again and just took off the clutch cover.
A bit of a surprise when a 1/4" (actually 2.47 by my trusty digital calliper) ball bearing dropped into the tray under the bike.
Since I have never had that cover off and the clutch has worked fine for six years I am at a loss as to where it came from.
Since I only "cracked" the main cover I cannot think where the loose ball came from. It looks the right size for a ball for the clutch push rod but how on earth it got from where it should be to casing I cannot figure out; any way there has been no major adjustment on the clutch since I have had the bike.
Any one any ideas?
Michael
Steve Brown

Re: Where did it come from?

Post by Steve Brown »

There shouldn't be a ball in the clutch mechanism and if you did try to fit one it would need to be smaller than the ball you found.
I can't think of anywhere a ball might come from when moving that cover. The only balls in there should be retained inside the pressure relief valve etc If yours was not in situ you'd know about it by the rattling big ends!
Hopefully it came from somewhere unrelated and was just hiding in a nook, unseen?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
robint

Post by robint »

The clutch push rod could well have a ball fitted in theory to prevent the push rod from binding but usually fitted part way along. Think mine has this (been a long time since I went in to play) but my memory (it has been in use for a long time!!) may be playing tricks with me. Bit cold to go and play at the moment, but I still wouldn't have expected it to fall out unless the clutch was being seriously looked at either. Only other ball on the left side is in the kick start - the little spring detent to hold it against the engine when not in use - was the kick start lever removed.... It is nominally 9/32 according to the manual but I'm sure 1/4 would be fine as well!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Dear RobinT
Many thanks for you suggestion.
It was the kickstart detent ball as you suggested
Rather obvious when you know ?
The value of a Forum demonstrated once again?
Sorry about the delay in answering. I got myself in a muddle with signing in and Tom has now released me from banishment
Michael
robint

Post by robint »

Glad it was that straightforward -usually Morini mysteries are not so!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)