1980 Strada Fork Oil info please

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

1980 Strada Fork Oil info please

Post by funsize »

Afternoon all!
I’ve got a 1980 Strada (though been confirmed as a 1979 bike imported from Italy). I’m going to change the fork oil but slightly confused by the info I’ve seen, early models 200ml per leg, later models 320ml per leg, quite a difference! Could anyone please confirm and also the recommendation for grade on a standard bike ridden normally? Lastly, I’m mechanically feeble but I want to do this myself, reasonable job to do? 😊
3potjohn

Re: 1980 Strada Fork Oil info please

Post by 3potjohn »

Before doing anything put something on the tank to protect it. Or remove if simple to do. I always make certain I can loosen the fork top nuts before draining the oil but leave then in as you can pump the forks when draining the last of the oil out. I have a long steel rod to use to assess the oil level on some bikes. When you undo the drain bolts the oil will be best captured in a suitable receptacle borrowed from the kitchen. Some is likely to go on the floor or tyre when you pump the forks so old newspaper is useful. Do not over tighten those drain plugs.
I think on those forks 200 mL of say 10 wt fork oil should do it.Some folk go up to 15 Wt. The rod approach at least lets you get to the same level. I use a glass measuring cylinder to refill. Let the oil drain in over the springs, not to quick as sometimes it bubbles up then your volume may be slightly out.
When done it is useful to slightly loosen the wheel bolts and the lower fork clamps very slightly and pump the forks to centre it all again.
Anyway a lot said about an easy job.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

funsize wrote: 08 Mar 2022 13:52 Afternoon all!
I’ve got a 1980 Strada (though been confirmed as a 1979 bike imported from Italy). I’m going to change the fork oil but slightly confused by the info I’ve seen, early models 200ml per leg, later models 320ml per leg, quite a difference! Could anyone please confirm and also the recommendation for grade on a standard bike ridden normally? Lastly, I’m mechanically feeble but I want to do this myself, reasonable job to do? 😊
I use Castrol 10W synthetic or Motul 10W. 200CC per leg.

1. Cover tank
2. Loosen fork caps. Do not remove, just a fraction.
3. Being a Strada you may need to remove the handlebars
4. Support bike under engine and remove front wheel and mudguard
5. Remove caps from top of forks (never do this with the wheel resting on the ground or you will see the cap disappear as fast as a Russian cruise missile to who knows where in your garage, or worse, your face.
6. Remove drain plug from bottom of fork and watch the oil pee out all over the floor. When it gets near empty it will dribble down the fork leg
7. You can pump the fork leg up and down the stanchion to remove the last of the oil
8. Replace drain plugs!
9. fill with 200cc of the required expensive fluid
10. Replace the caps on the forks
11. Replace mudguard and wheel
12. Remove jack and then bounce up and down on the forks to ensure the fluid is distributed around the dampers.

If the fluid is looking really grubby, you may wish to remove the stanchions and disassemble the forks to give them a jolly good clean. The damping will appreciate it. You will then need new oil seals.

Not a difficult task, be methodical and check everything as you go. Make sure everything is tight before riding and then go and enjoy the bike. Do you have the Blue Book?
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks to you both for such informative and easy to understand replies. The answer to the blue book question is yes, it’s on it’s way! Do I need to refer to this? I’m also grateful you both agree it’s 200 mo per leg, the Dutch site seems to suggest 320ml for all but the earliest models.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I would say the Blue Book is essential.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hu
As well as the blue book, get a copy of the parts book. Helps you to see how things go together, if anything is missing, and what parts are named/ needed when you need to get something.
George.
PS: re oil choice, everybody is different. I'm a fan of slightly heavier weight oils. I use Silkolene 20wt oil. I like to ride briskly and it suits ME at 11stone. You might need to experiment to see what suits you. When experimenting, keep to one brand to remove one variable.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
stradella

Post by stradella »

Before undoing the fork caps I would suggest loosening the upper triple clamp bolts a bit. (Make sure you tighten the clamp bolts after you reinstall the fork caps ...)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

All the above is useful info. As for the oil weight it will end up a matter of personal preference. The standard is 10W but as George says many prefer heavier grades. Some real weirdos (like me then) prefer a lower weight oil. I experimented a little and prefer 5 or 10W for my road bikes and even went to 0W for my trail bike! That may have been due to extra fork stiction after they were re-chromed but it still works and I like the way it works.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks for the replies, I’m trying 15w initially, 13 stone rider. I’m looking forward to doing the job then getting my new tyres on. Got the bike last summer and liked the few rides I had on it, I’m sure it’ll be even better with a new set of Avons instead of the Metzeler rear dated 1984(!!) and the rock hard budget front 😂
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Don't forget the Yorkshire meet on 1st May! Not far from Rotherham.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Yes that’s noted Mickey, might be in Spain then but if not it would be good to meet up some of you/us!