Rear Wheel Query

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

Rear Wheel Query

Post by funsize »

Morning all

Firstly I should say I'm mechanically pooor (but did successfully change my fork oil last week!!). Anyway, I've had new yres fitted and I've also put the 520 chain and sprockets on my 1980 Strada (drum) rear wheel. I've put the sprocket carrier back on and here's where my first query is, on the offside the 'inner' larger nut that attaches the sprocket housing to the bike tightens up then goes loose, it's screwing onto a stub that is round but with a flat part on it, should it be like this? I can remember from removal that it may well be captive when I put the spindle on with the outer nut but want to be sure before I introduce the rear wheel. Also, according to the diagram in the parts book it seems to show a washer with that larger inner nut, mine didn't have on but was perfectly aligned and last year appeared to ride perfectly? Sorry if the questions are somewhat basic, I'm learning!
MickeyMoto

Re: Rear Wheel Query

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mornin'

Glad you sorted the forks.

The hub carrier stud has two flats to locate in the swinging arm slot. There is a washer behind the large nut on my Sport. Either the thread is stripped on the nut or the nut is falling off the end as it is going too far. Fit the washer and if it doesn't tighten check the nut and the thread on the hub carrier. The carrier should be tight to the swinging arm. The smaller nut obviously tightens the wheel spindle. I presume you have the wheel adjuster fitted, too?

The hub carrier nut idea is great as it allows the wheel to be removed without disturbing the chain. I last saw this on a 1976 Suzuki TS185. It makes things so much easier, in my opinion ( except getting the bloody wheel into tight cush drive rubbers!).
norbert

Post by norbert »

Be very careful with the thread of the hub carrier stud: it´s a fine thread!
Often this thread is damaged because of a bad placed (big) nut or because people try to put a metric nut on it. The result is: it is fixed one time because of a forced nut. But won´t work a second time.
There must be a spacer as Mickey says.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks both, not sure why there was no washer, though it does seem tight to the hub and I haven't heaved on it. I'm going to seek help from my engineer friend, he''ll probably fix me with his steady stare and attend to it in effecient silence..Would any of you know what size washer it should be? It's described as a washer and not a spacer so I sould be able to secure one at the bike shop I work at.

Yes Mickey, forks were a breeze by crikey, how dirty was the oil!! I've gone for 15w for now, can't be any worse than what came out.. :shock:
norbert

Post by norbert »

There should be a washer and a spacer. Maybe I didn´t understand it well.
The crown gear supporting bush has a second spacer placed in the shaft seal (maybe you didn´t identify it, thinking it forms part of the bush). The other spacer is between the two bearings. I suppose that normaly there should be a washer under the big nut. If there was none, the chain spanner did the job of the washer, but a washer would be better anyhow
funsize

Post by funsize »

I appreciate the advise, thank you. Yes I’ve checked everything is there as per the parts book and I now have a washer for re-assembly 😊