1976 350 Strada ignition coils

The 3 1/2 forum
fatblokeabroad

1976 350 Strada ignition coils

Post by fatblokeabroad »

I recently completed my 350 Cafe Racer project which has a few modifications such as a Honda reg/rect and does not use the `red wire' from the alternator, all electrics are fed from the reg/rect, with the exception of the coil supply. The LED headlight is fed via relays directly from the battery . I managed to get the bike running but required a mechanical start ( high torque drill on the crank shaft) and it needed lots of choke and throttle when warm and was sluggish to respond. Once warm it would start on the kick start. So I sought professional assistance and took it to a `recommended' local bike mechanic with written instructions to sort out the timing and carburettors only and not to touch the wiring, as the wiring was not in accordance with the original diagram. Six weeks later, after many promises, I recovered my bike, in bits, and was told the ignition was broken . I checked my wiring and noticed it had all been changed. I have restored the wiring to my specs and all lighting, horns and charging ccts are working except for the brand new motobatt which is so dead that it will not take a charge and needs replacing and there is no spark.

I have replaced the plugs, checked the alternator ignition coil (green wire) and have a resistance of 298 ohms with an output of 58V ac when the engine is spun with the drill. There is no reading on the rev counter but as the spin-speed is so low this may be expected. I read in a previous thread that ,
]"The green wire is as you say the feed to the transducers ('coils'). An important note here- Never EVER put 12 volts onto the green wire. You will kill the transducers."
Can someone tell me how to check the ignition coils and the output from the pick up coils as I suspect that my expert may have done the above. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
mbmm350s

Re: 1976 350 Strada ignition coils

Post by mbmm350s »

Hello,
Please check out the You tube videos on this subject by Soren Hansen the well known Morinist from Denmark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyYDVuvCp8&t=8s

Moto Morini V twin Ignition system is similar to Vespa scooter ignition, just different pickup because camshaft timed not crankshaft timed.

Mark
fatblokeabroad

Re: 1976 350 Strada ignition coils

Post by fatblokeabroad »

Hi thanks for the reply, I had found Soren's YouTube site a while ago but never got as far as `ignition systems 3'. What a fountain of knowledge he is. I have been a bit busy recently but I will take a much close look at the pick-up rotor as it seems very sensitive to misalignment and run some more continuity checks on the leads. I think I will have to bite the bullet and fit Piaggio coils and build a mod for the rev counter, oh well I'm sure I will get back on the road sometime, just not this week!