Oil seals

The 3 1/2 forum
70sbikes

Oil seals

Post by 70sbikes »

Regarding the oil seals in the right hand crankcase. Are they just pressed in, or do they require some sort of adhesive?
3potjohn

Re: Oil seals

Post by 3potjohn »

By no means am I an expert as only done this twice in eleven years on a Morini but I have never done anything other than get then in square and level. I have fitted oil seals to many other bikes and follow the same technique. I have only recently obtained some proper seal drivers and have just used a socket or tapped the new one in using the old seal for the past 48 years.
If there was a witness mark or wear ridge on a shaft it is good to try and align the seal to it.
If the seal was a loose fit then I guess some suitable adhesive would have to be used ? Loctite 603/542 perhaps.
Jihn
norbert

Post by norbert »

Normaly you won´t need any adhesive, just puting the seals without damagin them in place.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Most of the seals fit 2mm below the case and really needs a special tool to get it right. I use my eye! The gear change one has a stop at the back and is simple...
Canuck750

Post by Canuck750 »

If you apply a very thin layer of Black Silicone sealant on the side face of the seal it will press in very easly with your fingers, just wipe off any extra silicone after the seal is set in place, the very thin layer of silicone will alos fill any nicks in the casting surface

grease up all the shafts before joining the cases