Breather Labyrinths

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

Breather Labyrinths

Post by funsize »

Evening all

Had my 1980 Strada a year now and very much enjoy it. The chap I bought it from had clearly spent good money on the mechanical side and the labyrinths are in place. I want to respect the correct servicing criteria so how often should these be changed and are there any visual prompts I should look for? I don’t know how long they’ve been in or for how many miles. TIA
George 350

Re: Breather Labyrinths

Post by George 350 »

Hi,
The breather labyrinth's are a non service item. They are either there or they aren't and they are either free flowing or they aren't. Not a serviceable item as they are only baffles in the breather system. While I have always had the rocker cover baffles in place, I haven't had one in the crankcase breather for donkeys years and have no issues. Now at over 98000 miles, so personally don't feel it is essential, but others may feel differently.
Make of that what you wish, but suggest you continue enjoying your bike and don't worry about them.
Regards,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
norbert

Post by norbert »

I agree totaly to George!

They only become of interest if you burn a hole in a piston or have veeery worn piston rings and the presure in the crankcase increases in a dramatic way blowing out the oil. There are used to be two labyrinths in the usually stone hard tube. When I changed this tube many years ago I only have put one in the new tube. Anyhow, if the tube is not stucked they don´t need any service at all.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks both, good to know, I’ll check ‘em occasionally then..😊