idiot lights

The 3 1/2 forum
Steve Brown

Re: idiot lights

Post by Steve Brown »

Another occasional oil pressure worry is when the castellated nut on the primary drive gear is not fully tight. The drive gear is keyed to the crank but just next to it and held by it too is the drive worm to the oil pump. The large nut needs to be tight. Properly tight and ideally with a little smear of loctite. It's a nyloc nut so the nyloc needs to be in good order too. Definitely worth taking the primary drive off to make sure it's all good and PROPERLY TIGHT!

Other than that the pressure switches are not the most reliable in the world-same one was fitted to my brand new Guzzi Spada in 1985 and gave me some worrying moments!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Steve Brown wrote: 01 Jul 2023 08:37 Another occasional oil pressure worry is when the castellated nut on the primary drive gear is not fully tight. The drive gear is keyed to the crank but just next to it and held by it too is the drive worm to the oil pump (and this bit is NOT keyed!). The large nut needs to be tight. Properly tight and ideally with a little smear of loctite. It's a nyloc nut so the nyloc needs to be in good order too. Definitely worth taking the primary drive off to make sure it's all good and PROPERLY TIGHT!

Other than that the pressure switches are not the most reliable in the world-same one was fitted to my brand new Guzzi Spada in 1985 and gave me some worrying moments!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I had a castle nut come slightly loose and found it very quickly after hearing a slight sound from the slipping worm gear.