Early type indicators cracking

The 3 1/2 forum
morini_tom

Early type indicators cracking

Post by morini_tom »

Has anyone got a proven way of keeping the early (round bodied) CEV 173 indicators attached to the bike without cracking?

If you don’t do them up tight enough they rotate
If you do them up too tight they crack
If you knock them because of their rigid metal stalks they crack

If they were cast metal they would be fine but chromed plastic just doesn’t have the strength.

Keen to keep this correct type of indicator on my 75 sport, but at around £80 a pair (if you can find them) it’s a bit much to consider a consumable!
3potjohn

Re: Early type indicators cracking

Post by 3potjohn »

If you had a late model A65 you could in addition watch them rotate on the move.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

morini_tom wrote: 23 Jun 2023 21:41 Has anyone got a proven way of keeping the early (round bodied) CEV 173 indicators attached to the bike without cracking?

If you don’t do them up tight enough they rotate
If you do them up too tight they crack
If you knock them because of their rigid metal stalks they crack

If they were cast metal they would be fine but chromed plastic just doesn’t have the strength.

Keen to keep this correct type of indicator on my 75 sport, but at around £80 a pair (if you can find them) it’s a bit much to consider a consumable!
If I remember, tape around the stem to increase the diameter and a shake proof washer, unless that was my BMW!
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

3potjohn wrote: 24 Jun 2023 08:24 If you had a late model A65 you could in addition watch them rotate on the move.
Oh yes the Morini/CEV items do that too. I could flog Tom a set of Lucas pattern items I have maybe? :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

I rubber mounted my rear indicators & this seems to have solved the rotating issue (looking at the photos it's time for new rubber washers to be installed). Of course, rubber mounting meant the indicators no longer earthed through the bodies, but I discovered my CEV's had provision for a wired earth. This also solved intermittent non-flashing indicator problems...

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Aha! One of mine tends to rotate with a rubber washer and if tightened too much loses the earth. I must do that mod.