Do I have an ignition problem

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Re: Do I have an ignition problem

Post by Fastmongrel »

RobinSF1 wrote: 25 Sep 2023 21:25 No personal experience of Frances and Robson, but our mutual acquaintance lemon jelly recommended them after he had some laverda work done there.
I contacted Robson and Frances but they don't do ignition coil repairs.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

The stator is on its way back to west country windings the bloody thing has done more miles in the last few months than I have.

What are the options for replacing the ignition. I have seen posts about a system by Sachse are there any other systems available I have a vague memory of reading about an Australian system. I would even consider a total loss system.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

SWF, though I see it says Morini 500.
https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/product/morini/
I have the business end of one somewhere but haven't got round to fitting it (a case of "if it works don't fix it"). Really must see if I can find it.

Some others too I think though Powerdynamo have discontinued theirs.
lemans

Post by lemans »

72degrees wrote: 30 Sep 2023 11:44 SWF, though I see it says Morini 500.
https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/product/morini/
I have the business end of one somewhere but haven't got round to fitting it (a case of "if it works don't fix it"). Really must see if I can find it.

Some others too I think though Powerdynamo have discontinued theirs.
these are easily reconfigured to a 350-setup. just replace the ignition advance table with the correct one.
can be done using this https://swf-ignitionsystems.nl/product- ... mmeerbaar/

but if you have a name and address I could research my database and check in what config this unit has been delivered. Or just send it back and I'll reconfig to any setup required.
regards Anne Galama/SWF
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

The SWF ignition system sounds like it's ideal for me but I can't seem to translate the website Google translate isn't working.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Managed to translate the SWF website I had to uninstall and install Google translate and it's now working properly.

Just got to wait until I get my stator back.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I forgot to update this. The SWF ignition supplied by Anne (username lemans) has been fitted and is running fine. Easy to fit but setting the timing needs 2 pairs of hands and eyes. The SWF system bypasses the crappy coil on the stator it takes power from the electric fuel tap power wire.

Everything is supplied including new coils. Everything is custom made to fit the bike and Anne answers emails within a few hours even when I asked an embarrassingly thick question.

Highly recommended
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Ming

Post by Ming »

I’m glad you appear to have overcome one of the seemingly numerous problems you have found on the 40 odd year old, unknown number of PO bike you bought. Please remember that many of your fellow forum members run / have run one or more Moto Morinis using that same ”crappy” ignition coil and ignition system for many years with great success. I am sure Anne’s system works well, though I don’t know how many are in use worldwide or how they will be working 40 years from now.
I did once have a Kanguro with an age related ignition coil failure, but I rewound it myself and it ran as good as new.
Hope you get some miles in once everything else is fixed.
lemans

Post by lemans »

Fastmongrel wrote: 23 Nov 2023 17:34 I forgot to update this. The SWF ignition supplied by Anne (username lemans) has been fitted and is running fine. Easy to fit but setting the timing needs 2 pairs of hands and eyes. The SWF system bypasses the crappy coil on the stator it takes power from the electric fuel tap power wire.

Everything is supplied including new coils. Everything is custom made to fit the bike and Anne answers emails within a few hours even when I asked an embarrassingly thick question.

Highly recommended
thanks for the feedback, always good to hear when the engine is up and running. then
1. there are no thick questions
2. I use a mirror the set the ignition, a trick I learned when timing my BSA A65
regards Anne
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

lemans wrote: 26 Nov 2023 18:40
Fastmongrel wrote: 23 Nov 2023 17:34 I forgot to update this. The SWF ignition supplied by Anne (username lemans) has been fitted and is running fine. Easy to fit but setting the timing needs 2 pairs of hands and eyes. The SWF system bypasses the crappy coil on the stator it takes power from the electric fuel tap power wire.

Highly recommended
thanks for the feedback, always good to hear when the engine is up and running. then
1. there are no thick questions
2. I use a mirror the set the ignition, a trick I learned when timing my BSA A65
regards Anne
Never thought of using a mirror luckily my friend helped out.
1981 3 1/2 Strada