Supercharged Morini's Oiling Set-Up

The 3 1/2 forum
smotorboy

Supercharged Morini's Oiling Set-Up

Post by smotorboy »

Hello All,

Mark asked some very good questions about the oil system modification we run on our Morini 350 K-2 motor.

I'll try to answer them as best I can:

1- oil pump has the later model gear set that spins the pump faster than the early models, otherwise OEM stock.

2- Pressure relief spring is the stock 60 psi setup (which is plenty)

3- Oil filtration is the stock "screen" which is checked after each race event for metal and or carbon (blow-by).

4- Oil cooler NONE ! (not needed for our short 1-2 mile speed runs).

5- Oil weight is 0w-40 Mobil I full synthetic (Note! I would not run this on the street as the hot idle pressure might be too low)
We run this oil for "maximum oil flow" as we don't ever have time for a proper warmup before taking off. We quickly flood the overhead with oil
to Lube and Cool the Cylinder Heads during the runs. The factory "oil misting" for the overhead is just HORRIBLE ! One of the worst engine
features I've ever seem.

Ignition Question as to what we use: I found All the factory Ignition setups just terrible for OUR application....

We use the German Sachs system ( 9 advance curves and a Rev-limiter built in)with High performance Coils and Anti-detonation sparkplugs.

Well worth the cost many times over....

Cheers,
Robert
72degrees

Re: Supercharged Morini's Oiling Set-Up

Post by 72degrees »

Interesting that you use Mobil 1 0w 40. That's what I used in my Mazda MX-5 with 127000 miles on the clock. The hydraulic lifters seem to benefit from it, particularly in the winter.

Anything fancy in the spark plug department?

I find OEM pickup with NLN module and conventional coils sufficient for my modest speed aspirations. With the advantage of it not being reliant on a battery.

The oil mist solution was pretty effective at reducing production costs and simplifying DIY maintenance, but I hear what you say.

I forget what cam you run. There are some weird timing regrinds about. I very much favour an OEM L5.
Last edited by 72degrees on 20 Jul 2023 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
72degrees

Re: Supercharged Morini's Oiling Set-Up

Post by 72degrees »

Oh. I see you do run fancy plugs. Enquiring minds need to know more
I always use Iridium plugs in all my non diesel vehicles.