Clutch overhaul tools

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Clutch overhaul tools

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello All

I have a small oil leak from the clutch cover on my ‘77 Strada and so need to replace the seals. I’ve seen Paul’s excellent video but I have a question re special tools. I think I need one to remove the clutch cover and a second to hold the clutch basket when I slacken the central nut.

I wonder if anyone has any tips concerning such tools? I see the manual suggests modifying a 14mm screwdriver for the clutch cover but the cost of such a screwdriver is no doubt more than the cost of the special tool (admittedly if I could find one)

Any suggestions most welcome

Thanks

Martin
72degrees

Re: Clutch overhaul tools

Post by 72degrees »

You can often get by with a standard screwdriver if the stud nuts have not been overtightened or have not been left undisturbed for years. I use a tool designed for BSA/Triumph clutches which works OK.

To hold the clutch 'hub' I use an old plain plate with a length of steel strip bolted to it. A universal clutch holder might also do the job. I have a Motion Pro one that also works on my 57 Gilera, but much cheaper ones are available.

I only have these tools because I was regularly swapping clutch stacks between bikes when hill climbing.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

1981 3 1/2 Strada
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Many thanks for your response. Yes I should
have said ‘hub’ as opposed to ‘basket’! I’ve found one of the BSA/Triumph tools on eBay so many thanks for that. Unfortunately I don’t have an old clutch plate so I think I’ll try a universal clutch holder

Thanks again
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Fastmongrel wrote: 27 Jul 2023 12:36 Service tools for Morini

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/morini-service-tools.html
Thanks for this. Unfortunately the two tools I mentioned are out of stock
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

I bought a generic clutch holding tool off Ebay. I did have to grind the holder parts of the tool until they were a snug fit in the hub splines, but after doing that it worked very well.

Trevor
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

70sbikes wrote: 28 Jul 2023 03:28 I bought a generic clutch holding tool off Ebay. I did have to grind the holder parts of the tool until they were a snug fit in the hub splines, but after doing that it worked very well.

Trevor
That's pretty much like the one I have, though I've not used it on a Morini yet.
Going to get stuck in to stripping down one engine soon, so I will bear in mind it may need tweaking, though the trusty plate and strap are still in the 'special tools' drawer. At least you don't need a puller to get the hub off. Unlike the Gilera where I had to get inventive with a two leg puller and a piece of dural.
175Clutch.JPG
175Clutch.JPG (188.44 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

70sbikes wrote: 28 Jul 2023 03:28 I bought a generic clutch holding tool off Ebay. I did have to grind the holder parts of the tool until they were a snug fit in the hub splines, but after doing that it worked very well.

Trevor
Thank you Trevor I will go down this route
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

martinaccarter wrote: 27 Jul 2023 19:41

Oops I didn't look before posting the link. That's the problem with owning rare old bikes and cars you can't just go to Halfords for the bits you need.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Fastmongrel wrote: 28 Jul 2023 09:17
martinaccarter wrote: 27 Jul 2023 19:41

Oops I didn't look before posting the link. That's the problem with owning rare old bikes and cars you can't just go to Halfords for the bits you need.
Some may say that is fortunate! :)
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

To be fair to Halfords the Pro grade tools are top notch especially as you get a lifetime warranty though I believe they want to see a receipt before replacing nowadays.

I have some of my dad's old Halfords tools from the days when they were made by Britool, Gordon and other quality British names. The 1/2 socket set has been used and abused and never let go though the ratchet direction switch is getting a touch sticky. I once used the breaker bar to undo flywheel bolts on a Bedford diesel engine it was in a canal boat and I had to cut a scaffold pole to exactly the right length so we could swing it inside a cramped narrow boat engine bay. 2 burly blokes swinging on the pole and it stood up the socket didn't survive and I had to burn some of the bolts off.

I have a set of Halfords advanced whitworth spanners that I bought with a Xmas voucher and they look brand new after 20+ years of use on crusty old British bikes and cars.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have Halfords Professional tools, so far so good. I kept the receipts!