Parts for '78 Strada

The 3 1/2 forum
72degrees

Re: Parts for '78 Strada

Post by 72degrees »

mbmm350s wrote: 07 Aug 2023 08:30
So, a question for those with greater knowledge Are there in fact two standards of sidestand pivot points on the frame and are they related to the fitment of a specific kickstart assembly?
I just swapped a steel starter 38.01.11 for an aluminium starter 38.01.15 on a 1978 350 Sport A/3 standard footrests, the side stand is parallel to the frame, there is easily 10mm of clearance between the foot of stand and starter, the aluminium starter has about 30mm of clearance
As for the pivot I think there is an extra brace on the underside on the A/3 versus A/2 , whether the position was changed I don't know.

The final image size for the forum needs to 250KB or less if I recall correctly, like resize of 20-25 %. This is because we have (without paying a lot of money) restrictions on the amount of on line storage.
As it happens the MRC is desperate to have the position of web and forum admin post filled as both the Website and this forum, which is free to everyone reading this, requires upgrading and continuous maintenance.

Cheers Mark
Not volunteering as I am still looking after the VMCC phpBB forum and (the albeit moribund GeN) . One observation though, have you got the image compression settings set on the MRC installation? It helps, but that may be dependent on what version phpBB it is running and I suspect from what you say it is not the most up to date release.

Perhaps I should email webmaestro with this nugget of info.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Martha wrote: 06 Aug 2023 16:15 Well, I have tried to shrink a photo of my sidestand to a size that can be coped with here, but working with an android tablet and my general incompetence with matters computing, I cannot get it to a small enough size, hu hum!
The old gimmers on the VMCC forum struggle with this. Having the luxury of a reasonable amount of storage space on the hosting account and tweaking the forum settings has helped but some still have to use an image shrinking app. Most found this one OK:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... l=en&gl=US
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

72degrees wrote: 08 Aug 2023 07:41
Martha wrote: 06 Aug 2023 16:15 Well, I have tried to shrink a photo of my sidestand to a size that can be coped with here, but working with an android tablet and my general incompetence with matters computing, I cannot get it to a small enough size, hu hum!
The old gimmers on the VMCC forum struggle with this. Having the luxury of a reasonable amount of storage space on the hosting account and tweaking the forum settings has helped but some still have to use an image shrinking app. Most found this one OK:
Thanks @72degrees , I think we (MRC) should add some instructions on how to size images.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

scbond2@yahoo.co.uk wrote: 07 Aug 2023 19:11 The problem I have with using the centre stand on my 81 sport is that it makes it awkward due to height

Is it possible to rotate backward a few notches like the ( strada ) pictures suggests?
The club strada kickstart is correctly fitted and is further back than a aluminium one, thus lower, if you do move it round a few notches then there are two things to consider,

1. If you go too far the starter might not return properly.
2. If you have it too low then you wont get enough travel and the motor wont be turning over far or fast enough.

Aesthetically pleasing is that the aluminium kickstart is fitted so its vertical and is well tucked away, which is needed for the A/3 sport footrests.
but worth trying to see if it makes it easier to use

I think there is little debate left on the point that 350s and 500s should not be kick started on the sidestand.
Mark
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

mbmm350s wrote: 08 Aug 2023 13:04
72degrees wrote: 08 Aug 2023 07:41
Thanks @72degrees , I think we (MRC) should add some instructions on how to size images.
I could point you to a very, very long thread on forum.vmcc.net about this ;)

It depends on what device posters are using. Those on a desktop client have lots of suitable graphics packages to choose from and it can be done by submitting to an online service. One dodge, if a FB user, is to post it on your FB feed which automatically reduce file size (it's that that matters) and then download the FB version before submitting to phpBB. Doing similar with Whatsapp also works apparently.

By The Way, I have offered my help as regards specifically forum admin. We have had a fair old game with the VMCC one, but have at least now upgraded to version 3.3.4 (should really be on 3.3.10, but 3.3.n gives much better options for image optimisation). Having said that, I have the luxury of several Gbs of storage to play with (currently 2.36 Gb of posted attachments).
Martha

Post by Martha »

Many thanks to all those who have provided an input. I am fairly used to a LH kickstart (Guzzi Nuovo Falcone) so I may well end up just removing the sidestand for the time being. I will keep an eye out for a late kickstart assy... and a heatshield on the internet rocking horse manure site and will put a 'wanted' ad on here.