Fuel taps and correct usage thereof

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

Fuel taps and correct usage thereof

Post by funsize »

Good evening. I’ve already hidden behind the settee if this is ‘bleedin’ obvious’ but when I got my ‘80 Strada (with manual taps) I always turned them both on. Anyway, it always seemed to be running rich until I saw a post that said the original electric tap was automatic and the right hand manual tap was effectively the reserve. So this year I began just using the left hand (now manual) tap and guess what, runs much better.
My query is this, I see in some threads about using both taps when on motorways or making progress and even though I think my bike runs really well, it does seem to lack top end, hardly even reads over 80mph. So I’d be really grateful if someone could outline what’s the most effective way to use both taps 😊
3potjohn

Re: Fuel taps and correct usage thereof

Post by 3potjohn »

I do not think having both taps open ought to negatively affect the running at any speed because the carbs control fuel metering. On the other hand at prolonged high speed travel it can be advantageous to open both taps to reduce the risk of fuel starvation. My electrotap at present has sufficient flow, so I have no experience of starvation.
Just my thoughts.
Others may offer alternative advice.
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

If any of the two taps let pass the fuel correctly there should be no difference if you open one or both taps (as long as the conecting fuel tube between the two carbs and their integrated filters are ok).
Sometimes there are problems with the electric tap if they are not operating as they should. Mostly because the diafragma is not flexibel any more and in consequence do not let pass the required amount of fuel, or because of eletric issues do not open at all. That´s the reason why a lot of people open the right hand reserve tap as well when riding with high revs on motorways.
To avoid any risks I allways use mecanic taps on both sides and insert the little tube integrated in the left hand tap with a length that guarantees at least 40 km of reserve fuel.
The german morinists (Werner Wilhelmi) has organized the remade of the diafragmas a few years ago. They have been not really cheap. Don´t know if there are any left, I fear not.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks both, good things to know. I’m very much enjoying riding it at the moment so will have a snoop around in winter. To be honest, other than a slight ‘cough’ at around 4,000 rpm it runs really well, smooth & tractable below 6k and pulls strong to 8k. I’m not really bothered about the seldom used top speed, and haven’t tried the ‘prone’ position, but I’ve never seen more than 85mph in what I guess is an optimistic speedo anyway 😃
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That will of course be 85 mph on a private road. Accuracy at 20 mph will be increasingly important I think. Oh well......
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The needle was swinging between 60 and 90!
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I call the Speedo a forward movement indicator. I checked with my mobile phone and when the forward movement indicator said I was doing something between 50 and 70 I was actually doing 45mph
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Could be called a license preserver or even a mobile chicane, you wondering who all the idiots are speeding on the King's Highway! :)
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Fastmongrel wrote: 11 Aug 2023 11:14 I call the Speedo a forward movement indicator. I checked with my mobile phone and when the forward movement indicator said I was doing something between 50 and 70 I was actually doing 45mph
I found that a new, well-greased cable and careful attention to routing made a huge difference to the needle's exuberance.
YMMV!
DD
MRC 3082½
funsize

Post by funsize »

Anyway, it FEELS fast, especially on the right roads! Back to being a young ‘un and way better than a mate of mine who said-in what I guess was a tired and cliched attempt at ‘bravado’ that his BMW S1000RRRR doesn’t feel fast at anything below 140mph…I stifled a yawn 🥱
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

All this talk of fuel taps has got me thinking about my electric tap it's working fine but it's 42 years old and it's Italian :| .

I want to get a spare manual tap can anyone tell me what thread size I need I have a 1981 Strada and the electric tap is marked Paoli it looks like it's a M14 thread but I have a full tank at the moment so can't check.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

funsize wrote: 11 Aug 2023 21:35 Anyway, it FEELS fast, especially on the right roads! Back to being a young ‘un and way better than a mate of mine who said-in what I guess was a tired and cliched attempt at ‘bravado’ that his BMW S1000RRRR doesn’t feel fast at anything below 140mph…I stifled a yawn 🥱
That's what I love about Morini's you might be doing 50 on a bumpy country road but it feels like your chasing a 100 mph lap on the TT course 😀
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Morini Jen

Post by Morini Jen »

Fastmongrel wrote: 12 Aug 2023 08:47
I want to get a spare manual tap can anyone tell me what thread size I need I have a 1981 Strada and the electric tap is marked Paoli it looks like it's a M14 thread but I have a full tank at the moment so can't check.
If it is any help, the fuel taps on my 1983 K1 Sport have a 16mm x 1.0mm thread. I removed the original taps a long time ago and fitted manual taps from a Morini Camel (not sure which model) as recommended by Alex at NLM as he said they flowed better.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Try MdinaItalia or Guzzibits do suitable taps TAA65401A or B ( Left/Right)
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

3potjohn wrote: 12 Aug 2023 21:22 Try MdinaItalia or Guzzibits do suitable taps TAA65401A or B ( Left/Right)
Just ordered one from Guzzi bits
1981 3 1/2 Strada