What size die/tap for crank thread 350 sport?

The 3 1/2 forum
Matt Hale

What size die/tap for crank thread 350 sport?

Post by Matt Hale »

Hi all
The thread on the end of my crank on generator rotor side [1979 350 Sport] is a little worn and a new nut has immediately gone stiff when put on end of crank.
Does anyone know the size of the thread on the crank end? I am thinking I could use a die to improve the thread so need to know what size die...Also...is it fine thread?
The nut is 22mm socket...
Any other method suggestions welcome...
Thanks
Matt
350 Sport 1979 electric start model (missing)
Curry yellow tank etc paint work, navy blue frame, silver wheels.
Fastmongrel

Re: What size die/tap for crank thread 350 sport?

Post by Fastmongrel »

I don't know what size the thread is but I would beware using a thread cutting die to try and repair the threads. The die will cut metal away however careful you are if you remove too much you won't be able to tighten the nut. To repair a damaged thread it's best to use a thread chaser this doesn't cut the metal but reforms bent or bashed threads.

You can get sets of male and female thread chasers for not a massive amount.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrcartool-15-P ... CYQAvD_BwE
1981 3 1/2 Strada
norbert

Post by norbert »

You can try a thread file if it is not damished en all the thread. Don´t remember the tread an in the moment I´m in Cadiz so cannot look. But I´ve cured the thread of a 500 with this file
k-DSCI1091.JPG
k-DSCI1091.JPG (101.3 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
k-DSCI1087.JPG
k-DSCI1087.JPG (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale »

Fastmongrel wrote: 09 Oct 2023 18:42 I don't know what size the thread is but I would beware using a thread cutting die to try and repair the threads. The die will cut metal away however careful you are if you remove too much you won't be able to tighten the nut. To repair a damaged thread it's best to use a thread chaser this doesn't cut the metal but reforms bent or bashed threads.

You can get sets of male and female thread chasers for not a massive amount.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrcartool-15-P ... CYQAvD_BwE
Apologies for the delay t o thank you for this info. Been away from bike but back now and will see if I can use a thread chaser.
Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale »

norbert wrote: 09 Oct 2023 20:03 You can try a thread file if it is not damished en all the thread. Don´t remember the tread an in the moment I´m in Cadiz so cannot look. But I´ve cured the thread of a 500 with this file

k-DSCI1091.JPG

k-DSCI1087.JPG
Thanks Norbert- if you know the thread size it would be useful. Apologies for my delay in replying.