6-pole switch vs 5-pole

The 3 1/2 forum
hombre

6-pole switch vs 5-pole

Post by hombre »

Hi all, anybody here who fitted a 6-pole ignitionswitch to an older bike with a 5-pole switch? If so is there a scheme available somewhere?
Thanks in advance!
mbmm350s

Re: 6-pole switch vs 5-pole

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Hombre,

The 6 pole has two positions in which key can be removed (OFF and PARKING LIGHTS) , the five pole has only one position (OFF) in which the key can be removed. To make it work if its possible but the key could fall out when you put the switch to lights on!
Unfortunately the green and blue are shorted in both OFF and PARKING LIGHT so its not going to be easy, and still they key would fall out, unless you want to have lights on all the time, then you can do it. You have to sit down with a continuity tester to work it out.

I did it the other way round yes I thought I am clever I can just switch the lock barrel over between my spare 5 pole and my broken 6 pole, but the lock is different so I have a 5 pole on a 6 pole bike that way is easy to make work without parking light.

So how about a 6 pole and a separate lights on off switch?
Mark
hombre

Re: 6-pole switch vs 5-pole

Post by hombre »

Hmmm I was afraid it wasn't going to be that simple. I'm terrible with electrics by the way...

If I look at the schemes it is
5-pole 6-pole
1=red 1=red
2=brown 2=brown
3=grey 3=green
4=blue 4=blue
5=green 5=yellow-black
6= yellow

So just green on green etc won't do the trick? The only different one is grey for the lights so that's yellow/yellow-black on the 6-pole version if I am not mistaking. Btw I am asking this for someone else not on this forum.