Rear Brake Shoes

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

Re: Rear Brake Shoes

Post by funsize »

So the EBC 921 is 160 x 30 and doesn’t fit any cast wheel 350s according to Mark’s-well, everyone’s!- contribution. That’s why this brand new set of Galfer shoes I’ve had in their box for the past year won’t fit my 1980 350! I’ll list them on but/sell. Best start looking for the 180 x 35s!!
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

MickeyMoto wrote: 06 Nov 2023 18:09 Is the shoe on the left delaminating?
Not sure I will check in daylight.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Fastmongrel wrote: 06 Nov 2023 20:08
MickeyMoto wrote: 06 Nov 2023 18:09 Is the shoe on the left delaminating?
Not sure I will check in daylight.
I don't think it is but to play safe I will be getting the shoes relined. The linings are 4.0 mm thick so I would be replacing them anyway in a year.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Friction Services in Keynsham near Bristol are excellent, quick and cheap too. Motorcyclists to a man, too
Martha

Post by Martha »

Not knowing how old the shoes are in my cast wheel Strada, I bit the bullet and tried the Newfren shoes from Steine Dinse. Before anyone rushes out to buy some... beware!

The original brake shoes are a fine casting (diecast?) with pivot point and cam end fittings accurately and well defined; the Newfren shoes are rough cast with casting flash at the pivots (which are not machined at all) and poorly positioned steel shoes over the shoe casting at the cam end. Neither pivot nor cam end will fit as supplied. The cam end can be easily addressed by filing to true up the steel 'shoe' with the aluminium, it just requires a few thou taking off.
The pivot end is a different matter. The chamfer on the pivot point on the shoes is corrupted with casting flash. Careful removal of this with a dremel then reveals that the inner and outer pivot diameters and the chamfer angle are incorrect. The innaccuracy is only small but sufficient to prevent the shoe assy seating at the pivot without significant work with a dremel. If the shoe fit at the pivot is not absolutely perfect the brake plate assembly will either not fit or results in the brake operating with only a couple of degrees of actuator arm rotation owing to the shoes being 'pushed out'. Despite a few hours of fettling, I am still not happy to use it without more material removed from the shoe's pivot point to give a little more clearance between brake shoes and drum. Oh, and yes, I have cleaned the drum outer edge up so it is not that which is causing the problem, I have checked the drum for ovality and measured it as being 180.07mm diameter.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thanks Martha and that’s made my mind up, I’m going for relining as at least I know it works fine at present, appreciate the info, hassle you could’ve done without :roll:
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I got my shoes relined but they used linings that are too thick so they have to go back on Monday to be skimmed.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
funsize

Post by funsize »

Dropped mine in the liners today, he said there was a decent amount meat on them but they were pretty glazed, so for £25 I’m happy-I’ve no idea if that’s cheap or dear but it’s part of the health check IMO
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Probably the cost of a new pair of shoes. As nobody appears to know what fits, then hopefully it will be peace of mind.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Got my wheel back with freshly skimmed shoes. Should last me a good few years.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
funsize

Post by funsize »

Got mine back and, they’d lined them too much! They were very surprised as they were ‘certain’ of the supposedly stock thickness but-to quote their own technical explanation-‘three passes on the skimmer and they’re bang on’. Glad I did as now I see them at their optimum, they were well worn, and glazed. Immediate bite at the pedal as well, so a touch of backing off required methinks.
Compliments of the season 😊
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I think there must be some confusion about the friction material thickness. When I got mine back they were too thick and the lining people said the exact same thing they fitted the by the book thickness. They had to skim 0.5mm to fit.

I wonder if the "book" is mixing up cast and wire wheels.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

This must be the only time I am glad to have a rear disc brake.