Bottom end strip

The 3 1/2 forum
Oli Hulme

Bottom end strip

Post by Oli Hulme »

I'm undertaking a bottom end strip on a long abandoned (long story) engine that has been sitting with it's barrels off and has a lot of dried in oil residue and may have debris inside. The engine doesn't appear to have any appreciable wear.

I have three current issues.

1: how do I get the two heavily recessed nuts out of the right hand crank case? 10mm sockets are too big. Will a long box spanner do it?

2: the Harglo manual says I should take out the crankshaft plugs and clean out the oil ways, then fit new plugs. Can you still get new plugs? I can't see them anywhere. Can I reuse the old?

3: any idea how to get the primary drive nut off without the special tool? Is butchering an old socket to do it a reasonable option?

Thank you
MickeyMoto

Re: Bottom end strip

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

1. The nuts should be recessed in nut shaped holes.
2. You will probably need to drill out the crankshaft bolts if they do not yield. No idea from where they can be obtained. Re use the old ones if not damaged.
3. Use the special tools, the nut is ft (fantastically tight!). Butchering a socket will give you the special tool. You also need four pairs of hands and a good vocabulary of bad language, well I did. A long breaker bar helped.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Oli,
In answer to 1/, you need to undo the two cap head screws in the clutch side of the crankcases.
2 and 3 are as Mickey says.
Regards,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

I had to give the crank to engineering firm to drill out the bolts they were allen bolts on mine which I well and truly ruined the heads in my ham fisted attempt they were incredible tight fit , I take it we are talking about the crank sludge traps, I replaced with allen bolts I had to grind down the length a bit as they were to long standard metric thread, unlike the crank thread which is metric fine so go carefully when trying to undo the big nut as the lads said make a tool out of old socket file it out castle shape , it takes forever I may add or get one off ebay or club take your time and you will sort it . Muller, ps I think the early crank nut wasn't of the peg type just plain normal nlooking nut .
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Yes the earlier crank-nut was a 'normal' hex-shape but so slim it is very hard to keep a socket on it, when applying the necessary brute-force and ignorance.
Funnily enough I am tearing into a bottom-end very similar to yours Oli. BTW Im the guy you came and bought some spares off of in Bath