Reinstating the electric starter

The 3 1/2 forum
unreal

Reinstating the electric starter

Post by unreal »

Hi, I'm thinking of reinstating the electric start.
My K came to me without one, but following a bit of knee probs it seems a good idea.
I think I have most of what I need in my stash, starter and cover from an Excalibur, which I'll clean out and top up, start button throttle from god knows where! Can't find a solenoid so looking at this one https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalo ... l#SID=726=.
I haven't touched an electric start Morini for years, looking at the wiring diagram looks straight forward.
But I have a couple questions:
Diagram shows a red + wire going from the solenoid + back to the fuse box via the main fuse, could this come straight from the battery (it does at the moment)?
What gauge cable should I use between battery-soleniod/solenoid-starter, I have some 16mm2 hi-flex (110amp) or should I use 25mm2?
Strangely the frame is missing the solenoid mounting bracket, must have gone MIA as it's a kink frame.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Si
Stempy

Re: Reinstating the electric starter

Post by Stempy »

Hi ,

I have used a lawnmower one
https://www.briggsandstrattonparts.co.u ... oid-691656

As for the cables 16mm2 should be ok and don’t forget the battery negative cable size .

Cheers
Stempy
unreal

Post by unreal »

Thanks, yes the neg is a heavy duty one earthed to the crankcase, but I’ll check the resistance as it old. May just make all new ones.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

That red+ cable can go either end of the main starter lead. The factory placed it at the solenoid so that when removing /replacing the battery there is only one lead to remember. Makes it a bit neater too, in my opinion. As for the solenoid, I've just replaced one on my 500. It's a Durite item rated at 100 amp (I think) and was recommended by Benjy Straw. Shame you haven't got the bracket as it sits neatly on there, with a bit of re-routing of the heavy current cables. Otherwise it will fit somewhere around the battery box. If you use a modern battery that will free some space up in the battery tray area.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

My brand new solenoid came from a Ski-Doo dealer in canada. Maybe these cross-references from ePay will make it easier.
Good luck,
DD

BOSCH ELECTRIC STARTER RELAY 1465-017-000 NOS JLO ROCKWELL HIRTH 032.15 SACHS
US $27.95
Sold by:
hinckleymotorsportsllc

or here:

BOSCH • NOS 12V Starter Regulator Relay 0 331 005 002 Guzzi V700 Ambassador BMW
US $44.99
Sold by:
genuinenos user ID
MRC 3082½