Wheel bearing tapered washers

The 3 1/2 forum
MickeyMoto

Wheel bearing tapered washers

Post by MickeyMoto »

Having installed new wheel bearings I forgot which way around the tapered washers went. They must have a use as they are tapered. Do they go inner race in or outer race in? I'm trying to work out their function as the spacers or spindles usually press against the inner part of the race.

Thanks.

Mike.
George 350

Re: Wheel bearing tapered washers

Post by George 350 »

Hi Mike,
I take it the washer is item 16 on the parts diagram? If so, it is, I believe the grease shield for the bearing. I take it that the large diameter of the spindle passes through it?
If so, refitting depends on whether you have installed sealed bearings or not. If bearings have rubber seals, then bin it. If open bearings (as originally fitted), then the washer should fit such that the outer is closest to the bearing - it should clip into the bearing.
Of course, if the large part of the spindle doesn't pass through it, then all bets as to what it's for are off!
Hope this helps,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
MickeyMoto

Re: Wheel bearing tapered washers

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello George,

Yes it does help, thank you. I have installed 2RS bearings (rubber sealed). The bearings that came out looked original, as in metal shielded on the outer sides and bare on the inside which makes sense. I was just wondering why the washers were tapered, maybe it was to keep the washer away from the rotating balls.

Anyway, there is a loose one in my garage which went flying when I tapped out the bearings. I'll leave it to gather dust until my next garage clean.

Onto the head bearings now, another 40 years of hard grease to clear out.