Devimead 350 Morini racebike.

The 3 1/2 forum
andyf

Devimead 350 Morini racebike.

Post by andyf »

At a racing show in the 1970's I seem to recall Devimead announcing a heavily modified 350 Morini for racing use at one of the London Racing Shows. Can anyone recall the bike, have further details, and give a year for its launch ? Any information whatsoever much appreciated.
Andy Farrer. farrerandrew@aol.com 07947 313890
AndyF.
morinipete

Devimead morinis

Post by morinipete »

Hi, can't give any specific info on this, but as an aside on the Devimead/Morini connection (and not least as I have a Devimead 750 powered 31/2 !, was an old Devimead customer and the Mason brothers still live near me)..................
Devimead experimented with a few Morini things in the mid-70s, and did all the prep work for Harglo, but as the 350 was never going to be competitive in that class (due to the Yahamas) did there own "500" using a pressed up roller bearing crank. This raced at the TT but had problems and was subsequently left as was........
well thta's what I thought until I met the guy with the engine ! Sorry can't pass on the details, as I've been spending some time trying to get it off him (!), but it was last used in his methanol burning grass track bike. I'll be seeing him again in the summer (I'm out of the country at present) when hopefull I'll put soemthing together for ATG and ask about this 350 cafe race you mention.
Pete
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

There are 2 pictures of the bike in the Mick Walker Morini book, along with some information about it.
London firm Elbymoto also had built up roller bearing cranks in their price list of tuning parts in the early 80s, some day I will put up a scan of the price list.

David
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

Hi Andy.
The bike was shown on the Harglo (U.K. Morini importers) stand at the Racing and Sporting Show in London, January 1975.

As Dave said, there are a couple of photos in the Mick Walker book. It's a pity my scanner isn't working or I'd scan the pictures for you. I haven't found any pictures of the bike anywhere else.

You can buy the book from the Morini Riders Club, or we'll have some copies on sale at the Stafford Show in April if you can wait that long.

Apparently the bike's capacity was raised from the standard 344cc to 460cc. The rear cylinder's exaust exits beneath the seat.
Unfortunately they had lots of problems with the bottom end/conrods.
The first 250 or so bikes sold had similar problems and it did a lot of harm to Morini's reputation. I've never ever heard of people having bottom end problems apart from those early bikes.

Les Mason was the main man at Devimead and I believe the bike was raced by his brother Dave.
I've found a list showing Dave Mason entering a Morini in the 1976 Production TT, but the results show him finishing equal 20th on a 250 Suzuki, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I can't help feeling I've heard of Nigel Rollason being connected to the Devimead Morini in some way, but can't find any evidence to support this.

As far as I know the last person to ride a Morini at the TT was Trevor Wise who campaigned a North Leicester Motors prepared 3 1/2 in the 1980 F3TT, and an Elby Moto 3 1/2 in the 1981 F3TT.
Here is a link...
http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/compet ... de_id=3414

I'm not sure if you're planning to build a similar race bike Andy?
Morinis seem to be in a difficult position for Classic Racing due to the dates they first appeared.
The first prototype was shown in Milan in 1971, production started in 1973, but they weren't on sale in the U.K. until early 1974 as far as I can tell.

Anyway, hope that helps a little? If I can find out anything more I'll let you know.

Best Wishes,
Jenny.
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

Hello again Andy.

You may have already seen this link on the British Historic Racing forum.
Bill Snelling looks after an archive of TT photos which can be found here...

http://www.mcb.net/amulree/fotof.html

If there is a photo of the Devimead Morini in there then I am hopeful that he will be able to find it.

If anything pops up, do let us know.

Best Wishes,
Jenny.
mgill

Post by mgill »

Morinis seem to be in a difficult position for Classic Racing due to the dates they first appeared.
How right you are! Was looking to race my 3 1/2 here in Canada with the VRRA but would be Mid-Production class. Puts me in with some heavy competition...

Up to 400cc single, twin and triple cylinder 2 stroke
Up to 500cc piston port twin cylinder 2 stroke
Up to 600cc single cylinder four stroke
Up to 550cc SOHC four stroke
Up to 650cc pushrod twin cylinder four stroke
MRC #2795
CJN904T

Re: Devimead 350 Morini racebike.

Post by CJN904T »

Old thread I know but I can confirm I owned the tank from thsi bike back in the day.

From my earleir post here is what I know:

My first 1979 Sport was sold in about 1981-82 and I've not seen it since reg CJN904T
Anorak bit - Unusual, in that I sold it fitted with Devimead's racer tank. That tank was a bulbous oddly attractive thing (if Brit cafe-racer style is your thing) and I fitted it… well - 'cos I could. I'm sure it held 5 gallons, it had a saddle-bag-like construction, the tank going way down the frame, I heard rumours that this tank still survives somewhere. I met a guy with a 3 1/2 in a pub (not my old bike) just ouside Rickmansworth about 5-6 years ago, and he said he had what sounded like my tank at home. I took his number (now lost) and now with deep regret, never got round to chasing it up.

Anyway i got the tank in about 1980, and stuck it on my road bike, I never did get to see the racer, and I've no pictures of that tank to show you. I can't even remember hwo I got to hear of the tanks sale, I know i bought it blind, i do remember going up to Tamworth from London to collect it by train. (I worked for British Rail at the time - free rail tickets)

My first bike [with the tank] was registered CJN 904T, and DVLA have it last taxed in 2008, and when I last saw it I'd fitted the early type side covers & single seat, painted like Devimeand had finished the tank in the standard Red/Black production 1974 Sport colours. It was a striking bike. I had the all aluminium tank modded to fit over the standard twin airboxs, whereas the racer would not have been fitted with these. The tank was far lighter than the production angular 1979 tank. It leaked at the intersection of seat and tank where If I recall the rubber fasterner pulled down on a hook, I bodged Petseal??( I think that is what it was called) in and it sorted it.

I reckon that tank looked right, whereas I find the Valantini effort a bit incongruous, but each to his own. Truth is they look just great plain old simple stock as the factory intended, but that tank was special. If you want to build a Devimeand replica that tank is out there soemwhere.

More I cannot tell you.
I'm in Dunstable - UK
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

An old thread but a subject which crops up now and again.

If anyone's interested in the Devimead Racer there'll be a somewhat irreverent article in the next ATG about it. For spoke counters it's not highly technical, but it does have some nice quotes from all the main protagonists :D

Pete
PS. Tom Farrow, if you're reading this, Mahle pistons have a lot to answer for ........
CJN904T

Post by CJN904T »

Don't come on here too often, would love to see that article. I don't think the last owner knew what he had in that tank. Reading that, sob, is likely as near as I'm ever going to get to my old bike.
I'm in Dunstable - UK